An Evening with Author Helen Thorpe
- Date: 09/17/2018 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Location: Museum
400 Quail Road
Longmont, Colorado 80501
- This event will be held in the Stewart Auditorium at the Longmont Museum, 400 Quail Road, Longmont.
- Atrium doors will open at 6 pm, and the auditorium doors will open at 6:30 pm. Seating is first-come, first-served.
- Those with registrations must check-in by 6:45 pm on the evening of the program or FORFEIT their seats to those on standby.
- Some standby seats may be available. Standby attendees can collect a standby number when the doors open at 6 pm and will be seated after 6:45 pm. These will be last minute seatings, and the Library cannot guarantee that all those given numbers will receive seats or that parties will be seated together.
- A cash bar will be available.
- Join author, journalist, and former First Lady of Colorado Helen Thorpe for a fascinating and timely discussion of how immigrant children are finding new homes in American classrooms.
- The United States is at a political crossroads around questions of immigration, multiculturalism, and America’s role on the global stage. In her recent book, The Newcomers: Finding Refuge, Friendship, and Hope in an American Classroom, Helen Thorpe’s intensive, year-long reporting puts a human face on these debates—or rather, the faces of 22 newly-arrived teenagers taking a beginner-level English Language Acquisition class at South High School in Denver.
- The book was named a finalist for the J. Anthony Lukas Work-in-Progress Award.
- Helen Thorpe lives in Denver, Colorado. She has been a staff writer for the New York Observer, The New Yorker, and Texas Monthly. She has also written freelance stories for the New York Times Magazine, Slate, and other publications. Her radio stories have aired on "This American Life" and "Sound Print." The Newcomers is her third book. She was born in London and attended Princeton and Columbia Universities. During her marriage to John Hickenlooper, Ms. Thorpe served as the First Lady of Denver (2003-2011) and the First Lady of Colorado (2011-2015).
- Following the program, Ms. Thorpe will be selling and signing copies of her books.
- Registration is required and is currently SOLD OUT. See information above about standby seating.