Welcome to Longmont's Calendar of Events!
The events listed on this calendar are City of Longmont sponsored events. This is not a comprehensive list of all activities happening around the community. Dates and times of these events are subject to change without notice.
Trash, Recycling, & Composting - Holidays & Events
- View via the address-based Online Collection Calendar and sign up for reminders.
Other Community Events
- To view other events being held around Longmont, please visit the Longmont visitors bureau events calendar at VisitLongmont.org.
Subscribe to the City Calendar
- To get events emailed to you directly, sign up for the Calendar eNotifications and then select the Calendar categories.
A Virginia Family’s Rise from Slavery and a Legacy Forged a Mile High
- Date: 10/10/2019 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Location: Library
409 Fourth Ave.
Longmont, Colorado 80501
- Polly E. Bugros McLean, an associate professor of Media Studies and an affiliated faculty in the Department of Ethnic Studies at the University of Colorado-Boulder, will discuss her latest book: Remembering Lucile: A Virginia Family’s Rise from Slavery and a Legacy Forged a Mile High. The book explores the life of Lucile Berkeley Buchanan Jones, born in Denver to emancipated slaves from the Oatlands and Evergreen plantations in Virginia.
- From 2003-2007, McLean served as the chair of Women & Gender Studies. She has lectured, conducted workshops and research in southern Africa for USAID, UNESCO, and Pathfinder International. A Fulbright Scholar in Namibia, and a visiting professor at the University of Zambia, McLean is the recipient of numerous awards and honors including the 2014 Best Should Teach Gold Award, the 2009 Edward R. Murrow Award for teaching excellence, and the 2007 Robert L. Stearns Award.
- For adults and teens aged 16+.
- Can't attend? This program may be streamed live online, courtesy of the Longmont Observer. You can view these livestreams on the Longmont Observer website and on its Facebook page. The program may also be recorded and available on our Watch Recent Programs page.
- Registration is required and will open on Tuesday, September 10 at 10 am. No email address? Call 303-651-8472 to register by phone.
This program is part of the Longmont Public Library’s “Authors We Love” series. Visit the webpage for more information and to learn about more upcoming author talks.