Just a reminder that school starts Tuesday, August 15.
School buses and many personal vehicles will be using our roadways to get children to and from school. Please use extra caution on our streets, especially in and around schools and school zones. Officers will be conducting extra patrols around these locations. Officers will be operating under a zero tolerance policy when patrolling in these areas.
Please use extra caution when driving near school buses.
• All traffic MUST stop, in either direction, when a school bus displays it’s RED flashing lights and/or the RED stop arm on the side of the bus near the driver’s window.
• Failure to obey that basic rule can result in a hefty fine and a charge of 6 points against your driver’s license.
• There are exceptions to the rule above. Traffic can pass a school bus displaying it’s red flashing lights, only when traveling in the OPPOSITE direction on a MULTI-LANE DIVIDED highway.
• In Longmont, roadways like Hover Street, 17th Avenue, and Ken Pratt Blvd, are considered MULTI-LANE DIVIDED highways. You can legally pass when going in the opposite direction in locations where the painted multi-use center lane is in effect
• Traffic can NEVER pass a school bus when the red lights are activated when going in the same direction as the bus.
Please remember these traffic safety tips, and enjoy the new school year.