Find Us On Facebook
We have a wide variety of news items and they are displayed below initially by the most recent date first, but if you prefer, you can sort them by Category and/or Departments.
Subscribe: To receive an email of news items that we send out to our subscribers, sign-up for our News eNotifications and choose the news categories that you are interested in receiving.
Archived News: News that was published three (3) months or longer will appear in the Archived News area. The link is directly below the drop-down menus.
Button Rock Preserve to Host Wildland Fire Helicopter Training
The Colorado Army National Guard will be conducting live bucket operations with multiple helicopters out of the Ralph Price Reservoir with direction from ground resources on simulated fire perimeters in typical terrain in the Button Rock Preserve. The objective is to allow both the National Guard and firefighters to share a realistic, high quality training opportunity. A qualified instructor will be on the ground to coach trainees on proper Air to Ground Communication procedures as well as proper standard target description techniques.
- The training exercises will consist of military aircraft and ground-based firefighters
- The exercise allows for communications practice from air to ground and for the delivery of water to simulated fire zones
- Aircraft will land to attach water buckets, fly to an altitude of between 500-1,500 feet above ground level, retrieve water from Ralph Price Reservoir, and then deliver water to drop sites identified by ground-based firefighters
- Some Button Rock trails will be closed during this training exercise for your protection. Please respect the closure signs
- Areas adjacent to Ralph Price Reservoir may experience high wind and noise levels during the training exercises
The National Guard is coordinating this training with City of Longmont staff to ensure safety to visitors, wildlife and the environment within Button Rock Preserve. Although this training will create a level of disturbance for visitors, it is a valuable opportunity for wildland firefighters to gain familiarity with Button Rock Preserve should a fire ever threaten the area, in addition to building skills for use across the state of Colorado.
Planned Dates and Times for National Guard Training Operations at Ralph Price Reservoir
Be prepared for extra activity in the preserve during the dates and times listed below.
- April 2 - 3 | 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- April 5 - 7 | 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- April 9 - 12 | 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.