Find Us On Facebook
Longmont is a diverse, multicultural and welcoming city, one in which it's easy for people to make connections, do business, and to thrive as part of the community. As home to many customs and cultures, it's easy for residents and visitors to find fellowship with others of similar backgrounds and to explore and join in traditions that are new or foreign. The many nonprofit, civic and cultural organizations of Longmont welcome new people to become involved, and there is opportunity to find others with whom to share almost any interest. Not only do "you belong in Longmont" if you’re looking for a welcoming hometown or business location, but "when you’re in Longmont, you belong."
City of Longmont, Mission Statement
Our mission is to enhance the quality of life for those who live in, work in, or visit our community.
Longmont by the Numbers
Longmont, Colorado, located within Boulder County, is a city with 22 square miles, more than 300 days of sunshine and a spectacular vista of the Rocky Mountains. Longmont sits at an elevation of 4,979 feet above sea level. With more than 1,500 acres of parks and open space, Longmont is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts. Longmont is also home to several high-tech companies and a vibrant restaurant scene. It is conveniently located 37 miles from Denver, 16 miles from Boulder and 30 miles from Rocky Mountain National Park. For in-depth demographic information, including quality of life statistics and employment and income data, see the Longmont Community Profile.
Did you know?
- Longmont named one of the "Best Places to Live" in 2006 and 2008 by CNN/Money Magazine and in 2014 by 24/7 Wall St.
- Longmont named an "All-America City in 2006 and 2018.
- Longmont has won multiple awards for its civic leadership.
- Visit Longmont! is the Longmont Area Visitor's Association website and can help with travel plans.
- According to the Software & Information Industry Association, the Boulder/Longmont area has the highest concentration of software-related jobs in the nation.
- Longmont is located within Boulder County. Compared with the other cities in the county, Longmont has the highest number of people who both live and work in the city.
- Astronaut Vance Brand was born in Longmont, and graduated from Longmont High School. Longmont's Vance Brand municipal airport is named after him.
- The first store to carry the JCPenney name was located in Longmont.
- An expedition, headed by Major Stephen H. Long, explored the area's St. Vrain River valley in 1820. The word "Longmont" is a combination of his name and "mont" from the French word for mountain.
- The City of Longmont was founded in 1871 by members of the Chicago-Colorado Colony who settled in the valley. For more information on the history of Longmont, see the Historic Longmont page or visit the Longmont Museum and Cultural Center.