Subscribe to the SBP newsletter.
Longmont's Sustainable Business Program officially launched in 2019. The purpose of the program is to support and recognize businesses in the community making substantial efforts to reduce their environmental impact, act socially responsible, and contribute to the economic vitality of Longmont. Register for the program today.
The program is funded through the City Sustainability Fund, along with partnerships with the Efficiency Works rebate program, Boulder County PACE (Partners for a Clean Environment), and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. The Sustainable Business Program is one component of the City's Sustainability Vision, which is working toward an engaged community that promotes environmental stewardship, economic vitality, and social equity to create a sustainable and thriving future for all.
How this FREE program works
Step 1: Apply
Step 2: Assess and Plan (optional)
- With help from the City, identify opportunities to be more efficient, inclusive and discover a path to a sustainable business.
Step 3: Get to Work
- Implement your top sustainability actions. Rebates, financing incentives, free resources, and mentoring will help you stay on track.
Step 4: Share Your Success
- Report your progress through the online GreenBiz Tracker (Xternal link) provided free with the program.
Step 5: Get Certified Sustainable
- The City offers three levels of certification based on your sustainability achievements.
Step 6: Celebrate Your Success
- Each year the City of Longmont will recognize the best of the best in business sustainability.
- Increase customer loyalty and profits
- Reduce operating costs and utility bills
- Improve employee wellness and productivity
- Make a positive impact on the environment
- Enhance your brand through positive PR
- Contribute to a thriving community
- Demonstrate social responsibility
The Sustainable Business Program (SBP) has three levels of recognition: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. All recipients will receive public recognition by the City of Longmont, a highlight in a press release, be listed on the City’s website as a “sustainable business,” and receive an invitation to a special celebration gathering, where the top three businesses of the year will be awarded.
Active Role to Carry Forward Sustainability Plan
The Sustainable Business program falls under the Sustainability Plan adopted in 2016. The plan is the City's initiative to focus on actions that can be implemented within the next 5 to 10 years to help promote environmental stewardship, social equity, and economic vitality for all residents and businesses of Longmont. Through the Sustainable Business Program, businesses will also be encouraged to support the Equitable City’s Climate Action Plan (Xternal link) and take action to be resilient to the changing climate and its effects.
The Sustainable Business Program be guided and reviewed by best practices in the following areas:
- Alternative transportation and access
- Community cohesion and resilience
- Economic vitality and job creation
- Energy and water efficiency
- Equity and inclusion
- Indoor and outdoor air quality
- Public awareness and education
- Regenerative agriculture
- Waste reduction and diversion
For more information or questions about the Sustainable Business Program, please contact our Economic Sustainability Specialist.