Please submit the following to apply for a Building Permit:
- Permit application form which is available at the Building Inspection counter located in the Development Services Center, 385 Kimbark Street or on the website. Click here to visit the Applications page. Please contact Building Inspection at (303) 651-8332 if you have additional questions about the information on this page.
- Plot plan showing your lot and the location of structures, and easements. Show all dimensions.
- Floor plan of each level, elevations of front, rear and sides, cross-section view, details of critical connections.
- Footing and foundation design.
- A soils report and Engineer designed plan is sometimes necessary.
Please see the following checklist for a complete list of submittal requirements for New Residential Single Family Construction Plan Checklist
You may draw your own plans, but please note that the plans and specifications need to be clear enough to show the nature and extent of the work or they may be returned to the applicant. You may save yourself both money and time if you present plans that do not need major revisions. If you cannot draw plans or are not familiar with code requirements, please seek professional assistance before applying for a permit. THREE (3) COMPLETE SETS (4 sets for commercial projects) of these plans are to be submitted for plan review. Plans are reviewed in the order in which they are received.
Once the application and plans are accepted, they will be reviewed for compliance with all applicable building codes and zoning ordinances. For commercial plans, a plan review fee will be calculated at this time and will need to be paid before the review process begins.
You will be called when the plans are approved and the building permit is ready to be issued. You may save yourself both money and time if you present plans that do not need major revisions. If you cannot draw plans or are not familiar with code requirements, please seek professional assistance before applying for a permit.
One set of the approved plans will be returned to you with any corrections noted when the permit is issued. Inspections will not be done without approved plans on site.
All fees, which are based on the estimated value of the work being done, are payable when the permit is issued.
Permits are reviewed and issued at the Building Inspection Division office located at the Development Services Center, 385 Kimbark St. The office is open from 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday. Call (303) 651-8332 for information.
NOISE: Section 10.20.100 of the Longmont Municipal Code prohibits making unreasonable noise that would cause a person of ordinary sensitivities significant annoyance and irritation.
CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS & TRASH: Section 9.04 of the Longmont Municipal Code requires debris and trash to be contained on the job site.
BEFORE DIGGING: Always call the Utility Information Center to locate underground utility lines. Allow three working days for the lines to be located and marked.