Notice regarding changes to the Longmont Fair Campaign Practices Act
May 6, 2019 - Anyone considering running for office for a City of Longmont municipal seat should be aware that amendments to the Longmont Fair Campaign Practices Act (the local laws governing campaigns and contributions and the associated disclosures - otherwise known as the LFCPA) were passed by the Longmont City Council on April 23, 2019. Those amendments are effective May 6, 2019.
City Council Eligibility
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must be a qualified elector for at least a year
- Must have resided in the City of Longmont for one-year immediately preceding the election date
- Must reside within the ward applying for, if elected for a Ward seat
The Regular Municipal Election for the City of Longmont will be held on November 5, 2019. There will be four council seats open for this election:
- Mayor (two-year term expiring 11/21)
- Ward I (four-year term expiring 11/23)
- Ward III (four-year term expiring 11/23)
- At-Large (four-year term expiring 11/23)
Residents of Longmont who are interested in running for election to these vacant City Council seats must file a Candidate Affidavit within ten days of announcing their candidacy publicly. In order to be on the ballot, candidates must circulate a nomination petition. Nomination petitions must contain the appropriate number of signatures for the particular seat and be signed by Longmont residents who are registered to vote, and who reside within the specific Ward, if for a Ward seat.
Required petition signature numbers:
- Candidates for At-Large positions (including Mayor) must have petitions signed by not fewer than fifty (50) qualified electors.
- Candidates for Ward positions must have petitions signed by not fewer than twenty-five (25) qualified electors from the Ward in which the candidate is seeking election.
First day for candidates to begin circulating petitions: Tuesday, August 6, 2019
Candidate Petitions due to City Clerk: Monday, August 26, 2019 by 5:00 p.m.
- Candidate Information Packet
- Nomination Petition
- Candidate Affidavit (file within 10 days of publicly announcing your candidacy)
- Candidate Committee Statement of Organization (file before taking any contributions)
- Campaign Reporting forms can be found on the Fair Campaign Reporting Act webpage
Please contact the City Clerk's office at (303) 651-8649 if you have questions or need assistance.
- Election Ward Map (pdf, 604KB)