Visit our Coronavirus page to stay up-to-date on the latest information and resources. ALL IN-PERSON CITY PROGRAMS AND EVENTS ARE CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. See current closure details.

Información sobre la enfermedad del Covid-19



Special Events Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


If you are planning on using a public place for the purpose of: conducting a special event (wedding, festival, concert, parade, bike race, car show, etc.), organizing a block party, or to sell or serve alcohol, you must obtain a special permit to do so. Unfortunately, most of these permits are referred to as 'Special Event Permits'. Read the details about each different type below to determine which of these pertains to your event.

Block Party Permit - gathering of neighbors to build community - generally a block or two of neighbors gathering to connect and strengthen their community bond

Use of Public Places for Special Event- special events conducted on public property (see definition below)

Liquor Special Event Permit - to allow organizer capability to sell or serve alcohol to the public at their event on public or private property



Events being conducted on private property may need to obtain a Temporary Use Special Event Permit through the Planning & Development Services Department. This permit is meant to ensure public safety and to help minimize public nuisances or dangers caused by events on private property.

Block Party Permit

A block party is a street closure to facilitate neighbors on a specific block getting together to build a sense of community. Block parties are typically held on neighborhood streets and are not allowed on collector or arterial roadways.

In addition to this Application for a Block Party permit, you may want to visit the Community & Neighborhood Resources page for additional information on how to get funding assistance for your event. 

Use of Public Places for a Special Event Permit

Special Event means any of the following activities conducted on public property: 
  1. A temporary event or promotion, including a block party, that uses a barricade, booth, table, rack, structure or cart or other display equipment
  2. An event on public property to which the public is invited or admission is charged
  3. An occasion in which a group of persons collectively engaged in a sport or form of physical exercise which obstructs, delays or interferes with the normal flow of pedestrian or vehicular traffic and controls, including, but not limited to, bicycle and foot races
  4. Any event utilizing amplified sound due to its potential for impact on the surrounding neighbors
  5. Any event selling or serving alcohol on public property*

Please submit your complete Application for a Use of Public Places for a Special Event (download the fillable pdf) at least 45 days prior to your event. For questions regarding the application, the process, or for any other questions related to special events, please contact the City Clerk's Office at (303) 651-8649.

Police/Security Requirements for Special Events on Public Property

In order to ensure public safety, event organizers may be required to hire off-duty police officers and/or security guards for their event. Please read the Use of Public Places Security Requirement Formula policy document. Click to learn when police or security are required for events on public property.

*Please contact the City Clerk's Office for help determining if your event will require you to also have the Liquor Special Event Permit (below).

Liquor Special Event Permit

Liquor Special Event Permits allow qualified non-profit entities or political candidates to sell, serve, or distribute alcohol beverages for on-premise consumption only in connection with fund raising events. Applicants must demonstrate possession of the premises at which the event will be held. If the event will be held on public property (i.e. in a City park), a Use of Public Places for Special Event permit (see above) must be obtained in addition to reserving the park through Recreation Services. Sandwiches or snack foods must be made available during all hours of liquor service.

A special event permit may be issued to an organization which:

  • has been incorporated under the laws of this state for purposes of social, fraternal, patriotic, political, or athletic nature, and not for pecuniary gain, or
  • is a regularly chartered branch, lodge, or chapter of a national organization or society organized for such purposes and being nonprofit in nature, or
  • is a regularly established religious or philanthropic institution, or
  • to any political candidate who has filed the necessary reports and statements with the secretary of state pursuant to article 45 of title 1, C.R.S.
  • municipality owning an arts facility

The special event permit holder may obtain a maximum of fifteen (15) Special Events Permits per calendar year. Each permit is valid for one day only. An event lasting between one and five days may be applied for on one application but each day counts toward the maximum of fifteen total days per year. The Local Licensing Authority does not permit that different single day events be applied for on a single application form as each event is unique and must be addressed individually.

Helpful tips and reminders

What to know before submitting an application for a Liquor Special Event Permit:

  1. Please submit your complete Application for a Liquor Special Event Permit 60 days prior to your event. You are welcome to submit it even earlier if you like.
  2. The City Clerk's staff may not provide you legal advice regarding your application.
  3. The applicant is required to post the Notice Poster at the location of the event and complete and return a notarized affidavit and photos of the posting to the City Clerk's Office. City Clerk staff will prepare the poster, notify the applicant when to pick it up, and indicate the deadline to post in order to meet statutory requirements. Failure to complete this notification process as outlined by City Clerk staff may result in denial of the application.
  4. A representative of the organization may be required to attend a hearing and respond to any questions the Authority may have regarding the event, the layout, and liquor service management and logistics. The Deputy City Clerk will notify the applicant of the hearing date.
  5. The Local Licensing Authority meetings are at 2:00 p.m. on the third Thursday of the month in Courtroom A of the Safety & Justice Center, 225 Kimbark St., Longmont, unless otherwise scheduled.
  6. For questions about this application or the process, please contact the City Clerk's Office, 350 Kimbark St. or (303) 651-8649.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer
View Full Site