Visit our Coronavirus page to stay up-to-date on the latest information and resources. ALL IN-PERSON CITY PROGRAMS AND EVENTS ARE CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. See current closure details.



Industrial Pretreatment Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Industrial Pretreatment

NEW Local Limits Adopted, October 2019

Local Limits were updated as required by the renewed NPDES permit for the Wastewater Treatment Plant.  Local Limits are applicable to our permitted industries.  Amended permits are being mailed during the week of October 9th.

Federal Regulation for Healthcare Facilities, August 2019

U.S. EPA published a final Rule on 11 December 2018 that prohibits the discharge of pharmaceuticals to the sanitary sewer.  The Rule becomes effective 21 August 2019 and is applicable to a wide range of healthcare facilities (including stores, vets, clinics, doctor's and dental offices) and reverse distributors.  If your business handles any kind of pharmaceutical or over-the-counter nicotine replacement therapies, it will be affected by this new regulation.  Find out more at:

Permission To Discharge to Sanitary Sewer

Since every waste stream is unique, businesses should contact Environmental Services and ask to speak to the IP Program coordinator to obtain permission to discharge to the sanitary sewer or to obtain an individual discharge permit.  

Be prepared to provide all of the following information:

  • types and amounts of pollutants the wastes contain- MSDS and sample analyses may be required;
  • industrial wastewater classification survey;
  • total volume of the wastes;
  • how the wastes will be discharged; and
  • frequency of the discharge (one time, intermittent or continuous).

Discharges must not violate any of the general prohibitions of the Municipal Code 14.08.310. Contact the IP Program if the wastes exceeds any local limit listed in Code 14.08.312.

Discharge must not cause pass through or interference of the POTW.


All costs associated with sampling a waste are the responsibility of the discharger.

Surcharges Applicable

The treatment plant may accept high strength wastes. High strength is considered wastes with pollutant loadings greater than domestic values (BOD>340 mg/L, TSS>250 mg/L or TKN>50 mg/L). Surcharges are applicable. Slug loads are prohibited.

Do I Need a Discharge Permit?

Contact Environmental Services and ask to speak with the IPP coordinator. You are required to obtain a permit if your business meets the EPA's definition of Significant Industrial User (40 CFR 403.3 (v)) even if you do not discharge.  More information is available about permits.

What will be my Discharge Limits in a Permit?  This will be determined as the permit is developed.

  • For nonconventional parameters (metals, cyanide), limitations are based on the most stringent value for the specific categorical pretreatment standards for your industry and local limits listed in Municipal Code 14.08.312.
  • For conventional parameters (BOD, TSS, TKN), limits are based on your discharge volume and the WWTP loadings available for all SIUs. Please note that limitations on conventional pollutants is used to avoid slug loading upon the WWTP. Pollutant loads exceeding residential wastewater values are subject to surcharge fees.

Hazardous Waste

Learn more about hazardous wastes reporting requirements.

Need FREE assistance in understanding hazardous wastes and other environmental regulations?

Boulder County Hazardous Materials Facility will accept hazardous wastes for a fee from businesses that have CESQG status.

More about City of Longmont Services and Programs

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer

View Full Site