Emerald ash borer is in Longmont and now is the time to make a plan for your private ash trees. Making a decision on whether or not to preserve your ash tree with pesticides is a personal choice and does not have a one-size-fits-all solution. EAB will kill non-treated ash trees. Consider the options for your ash tree and make a plan now.
- Determine if you have an ash tree.
Ash Tree Identification Guide
- Does your ash tree have EAB?
EAB is not the only insect that feeds upon ash trees on the Front Range. View Diagnosing Emerald Ash Borer and Other Ash Tree Damage to help you determine which insect is impacting your ash tree. Colorado is home to many other EAB impostors.
- Consult the Decision Guide to explore the options for your ash tree.
- Tree removal and wood disposal.
Tree removals can be difficult and dangerous. If you plan on hiring a tree service to perform a removal you must choose a City of Longmont licensed contractor. Choose a contractor from the City of Longmont tree service contractors list here.
- Request quotes for work from at least three contractors.
- Have an idea of what work you want completed, such as tree removal, stump grinding, waste hauling and disposal; and tree planting.
- Request a timeline for the work to be completed. With EAB spreading across Boulder County, and the frequency of wind and snowstorms, contractors could be booked out months in advance. Ash trees become brittle when they die from EAB, so it can be beneficial to have your tree removed before the tree is completely dead.
- Longmont offers free wood disposal to Longmont trash and recycling customers at the Waste Diversion Center. However, free disposal is not available for contractor disposal.
- Pesticide Treatment.
Pesticide treatment for EAB can be very effective, but you will need to weigh the options before selecting a treatment. Garden supply and home improvement centers sell pesticides labeled for EAB treatment, but are only effective on smaller-sized ash trees. Read the label thoroughly before purchasing the product and remember that the label is the law. Ash trees that require application of restricted-use chemicals require hiring a City of Longmont licensed tree service contractor. Obtain a list of tree service contractors here.
- Tree Planting.
EAB is the most destructive forest pest in North America and is rapidly reducing the tree canopy in American cities. Help maintain the urban forest of Longmont by planting a tree. The Front Range Tree Recommendation List is a curated list of the best trees for the Front Range.
All hardwood firewood, including ash in Boulder County is under a federal quarantine, and carries stiff fines for transporting hardwood firewood outside of Boulder County. When camping and recreating outside the county, burn it where you buy it.