The Library has a spectacular number of materials and services for you to explore, but you'll need a library card to start.
Fortunately, we've made it easy to get one!
General Library Card Rules:
- Library cards are issued at the Library's Information Desk or Circulation Desk in the lobby.
- The first library card is free; replacement cards cost $1.
- Library cards from other local libraries in our consortium group (i.e. Boulder, Broomfield, Lafayette, Louisville, and Loveland) may be used to check out or access most items and services offered at our library. Exceptions include things such as the Library of Things, Experience Bags, State Park Pass Backpacks, and some online information services.
- To get a library card, you must bring a photo ID and something with your current address.
- If your driver’s license is up to date, that is all you need.
- Current mail, a printed check with address, a utility bill, or a rental agreement can be used for proof of address.
Special Library Cards for Children:
- If you are under the age of 16, please bring your parent with you. Your parent will need a photo ID and proof of current address. Also, parents requesting library cards for their children must have their children with them.
- If you are a teacher and would like library cards for your students, please phone the Children and Teen Services Desk at (303) 651-8477 for information.
Sign up for a library card ONLINE!
Here's what you need to know:
- You must be 16 years or older to sign up for a library card yourself; parents can register children under age 16.
- You will be asked to provide a valid picture ID such as:
- state issued driver’s license or ID Card,
- Passport, or
- Department of Defense ID Card or Matrícula Consular.
- A digital card will give you access to almost everything in our library catalog, plus our digital services for eBooks, eMagazines, language services, research services, and entertainment, including the New York Times, Libby/Overdrive, RB Digital, Consumer Reports, Acorn TV, and Pronunciator.
- A digital card cannot be used to reserve Discovery Passes.
To get a digital card:
- Click the button below and follow the instructions.
- You'll receive an email message requesting that you scan and send your picture ID to us via email.
Once we have your information, you will receive a limited use card number and can checkout and or place three items on hold.
Limited Use Library Cards:
- Obtained in person in the Library.
- Photo ID is provided but no proof of address is presented.
- Permits the patron to check out up to three items.
- Can be converted to a regular account once proper documentation is shown.
Computer Use Cards:
- No photo ID and no proof of address presented.
- Permits use of the Computer Lab but no borrowing of materials.
- Can be converted to a regular account once proper documentation is shown.
The Library's borrowing policies are set to try and allow for maximum enjoyment of materials by the most patrons possible. We appreciate your cooperation!
Check Out Periods for Most Materials
3 week checkout; can be renewed twice for another 3 weeks each time if no one has placed a hold on the item:
- Most books
- Children's magazines
- Most DVDs with play times of at least 6 hours
1 week checkout; can be renewed twice for 1 additional week each time if no one has placed a hold on the item:
- Most DVDs with play times of less than 6 hours
- Books in a Bag
- Adult magazines
Once checked in, items must stay in the Library for 24 hours before they may be checked out again by the same patron.
Lucky Day Materials
The Lucky Day collection is comprised of the most in-demand books, audiobooks, TV shows, and films. The collection is located in the main lobby and because they are in such high demand, Lucky Day items have special rules:
- Books, Audiobooks, TV shows = 2 Week Checkout
- Movies = 1 Week Checkout
- No Renewals
- Limit 2 Lucky Day Items at a Time
- Cannot Be Placed on Hold
- First Come, First Served
Know Your Limits
- Overall limit: 99 items per card
- Books: 99 per card
- Magazines & newspapers: 10 per card
- DVDs & CDs: 10 per card
Renew Your Books
Most of the time, items will be automatically renewed for you, unless the item is on hold for another patron. Most materials may be renewed twice for the original checkout length. The renewal date is always calculated from the date the item was renewed, not the from the original due date (this is a change from our previous catalog system).
Example: A book checks out on the 1st of May and is due on the 22nd of May. It is automatically renewed on the 22nd of May, so the new due date is the 12th of June. But if instead the patron decides to renew it the 15th of May, the new due date is calculated from the 15th of May and NOT the 22nd of May. So the new due date would be the 5th of June.
Don't Overdue It
- Most items are 10¢ per day, per item.
- DVDs are 50¢ per day, per item
- Experience and Well-being Bags, Books in Bag, Youth Experience Bags, Storytime Kits, and Junior and Teen Book Club Kits are $1 per day per item.
- Items in the Library of Things collection will accrue a $20.00 dollar late fee for each day it remains overdue up to 7 days in which case it will be considered lost, and the patron will be charged the replacement fee. On the 14th day after the item's due date a police report may be filed.
- Remember: if you borrow items from our library using a card from one of our local consortium libraries (i.e. Boulder, Broomfield, Lafayette, Louisville, or Loveland), those items are subject to fines set by the Longmont Library, not the library that issued the card.
- Maximum overdue charges are $5 for most regular items and $2 for paperbacks and magazines.
- Accounts that exceed $10 of fines will not be allowed to check out any additional items until fines are paid.
- Accounts that equal or exceed $25 may be turned over to a collection agency.
Pay your fines here.
Sorry, You’ve Lost Me
- 60 days after an item is due and has not been returned, it is deemed lost and a replacement fee is charged to the patron's account.
- If the item is later found a refund will not be issued and the item becomes the possession of the patron who paid the replacement fee.
Borrowing Items from Other Libraries
The Longmont Public Library is a member of the Flatiron Library Consortium (FLC), a group of local libraries that share some resources in order to offer more to their patrons.
- Longmont patrons can request and borrow items from our partner libraries (Boulder, Broomfield, Loveland, Lafayette, and Louisville).
- Limits, fines, fees, and due dates from the lending library will apply.
- Items not available through the FLC can be requested through the Prospector system within the catalog search, or through the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) system by contacting the Library.
- Prospector items are non-renewable.
- ILL items are renewable if allowed by the lending library.
As a general guideline, patrons should always return items to the library from which they borrowed them. When items are returned to a different library, they are routed by couriers, which can be delayed for a number of factors:
- Some libraries do not have daily pick-up/delivery by the courier
- Items may be sent from smaller branches to the main library before the courier picks them up
- Items are routed to a processing facility in Denver for additional sorting
- There are always a few items in each delivery that are misdirected.
FLC items may be returned to any FLC library and the return date will be processed at the Library at which the item was returned.
Finally, remember that academic libraries often consider an item late if it is not at their circulation desk by its due date. Very large fines may be assessed by these libraries, with no grace period given.
Requesting Items Through Interlibrary Loan
The Longmont Public Library will lend books and audiovisual materials at no charge to libraries in the U.S. and Canada. To request a loan, a library must fax, email, or mail the request to:
InterLibrary Loan Department
Longmont Public Library
409 Fourth Ave.
Longmont, CO 80501
ILL Dept. Phone: 303-651-8772
- Call us at (303) 651-8476 or email us!