Fascinated by the heavenly bodies?
Always loved the moon?
Wondered about galaxies far, far away?
Indulge your interstellar curiosity by borrowing a tabletop telescope from the Library! Thanks to a very generous donation from the Longmont Astronomical Society, the Library has complete telescope kits to lend to patrons for use at home. The LAS will also be maintaining the telescope kits on behalf of the Library.
The lowdown on borrowing a telescope kit:
- Five (5) telescopes kits are available for lending.
- Three of the five telescope kits are "Lucky Day" items, meaning that they are not available for holds, and if they happen to be checked in when you stop by, then it's your Lucky Day! Lucky Day telescope kits have a one-week checkout period. Ask at the main desk in the Lobby to find out if a Lucky Day telescope kit is available.
- Two of the five telescope kits may be reserved through the Library Catalog, and checked out for two weeks at a time.
- Telescope kits contain:
- an Orion StarBlast Astro Reflector Telescope;
- an E-Z finder sight;
- a map of geological interest points on the moon;
- a headlamp; and
- a basic astronomy guidebook.
- You must have a Longmont Public Library card to check out these kits.
- Patrons must 18-years-old to check out the telescopes and must sign a waiver acknowledging the danger of looking at the sun through a telescope.
- Each kit is contained in a large plastic storage tub and weighs approximately 20 pounds.
- Overdue fines for telescope kits are $3 per day.
If you'd like to see a telescope kit, stop by the Library and inquire at the Information or Circulation Desks.
Read the news article in the Longmont Times-Call.
To whet your appetite for interstellar exploration, watch this great video that demonstrates the scale of our galaxy. Mind. Blown.