Important Notices Regarding Our Book Groups:
- It's always a good idea to check our Calendar for last-minute changes or cancellations.
- For more information about our book groups, please call the Library at 303-651-8472.
- Participation in all book groups and online book clubs is free, unless otherwise noted.
- Comuníquese con Amy al 303-651-8783 para información en español.
- These programs are generously funded by the Friends of the Longmont Library.
Read for Your Health Book Group
- Meets from 7 to 8 pm every other month on a Tuesday evening (check calendar for exact dates)
- This book group focuses on health-related issues using suggested books and discussion guides from the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) and led by one of our librarians.
- Copies of the book will be available on a first come, first served basis for those who are currently registered at the 2nd Floor Desk one month before the meeting date.
- Other copies can be obtained through the Library's online catalog or through Prospector.
- Limit of 12 participants.
- Open to adults and teens aged 16+.
- Held in the Conference Room off the West Lobby.
- Registration is required for each meeting. Click below to register. No email address? Call 303-651-8472 to register by phone.
|Read For Your Health book selections, 2020
|| Book Title, Author
||How to Be a Patient: the essential guide to navigating the world of modern medicine, by Sana Goldberg
||Women Rowing North, by Mary Pipher
||Heart: A History, by Sandeep Jauhar|
The Library offers two traditional book clubs for our readers who like their books accompanied with robust discussion of themes, character development, and critique. If that sounds like you, then you belong in one of our traditional book clubs! New participants are always encouraged and welcome -- just read the book for that month and drop in on the meeting. Join one or all, it’s all good stuff.
First Thursdays Book Group
The First Thursdays Book Group meets at 2 pm on (you guessed it!) the first Thursday of each month, unless that day falls on a holiday.
| First thursdays book selections, 2020
|| Book Title, Author
| Jan 2
||Desert Solitaire, by Edward Abbey
| Feb 6
||All You Can Ever Know: A Memoir, by Nicole Chung|
||The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian, by Michael Booth
||Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother's Will to Survive, by Stephanie Land
||Judy: The Unforgettable Story of the Dog Who Went to War and Became a True Hero, by Damien Lewis
||The Personality Brokers: The Strange History of Myers-Brigg and the Birth of Personality Testing, by Merve Emry
||Harriet Tubman: The Road to Freedom, by Catherine Clinton
|| The Moment of Life: How Empowering Women Changes the World, by Melinda Gates
||Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith, by Jon Krakauer
||Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy, by Carlos Eire
||Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain
Becoming, by Michelle Obama
Second Mondays Book Group
The Second Mondays Book Group meets at 7 pm on (another tough guess!) the second Monday of each month, unless that day falls on a holiday.
|Second mondays book selections, 2020
|| Book Title, Author
||The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah
||Moloka'i, by Allen Brennert
||The Grass Harp, by Truman Capote
||Virgil Wander, by Leif Enger
||When Breath Becomes Air, by Paul Kalanithi|
||Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman
Amigos de la Lectura Book Group/Grupo de Lectura Amigos de la Lectura
- Monthly, 7 to 8:30 pm
- Planned dates: February 12, March 18, April 29, May 20, June 17
- Amigos de la Lectura is a monthly book group for those who enjoy reading and discussing works in Spanish. From students to retirees—and everyone in between—all are welcome! We will read and discuss novels, biographies, and collections of short stories written in Spanish.
- The next book the group will read and discuss in Spanish is Cuentos de Eva Luna by Isabel Allende.
- If you are interested but don’t have time to read the book, please come anyway!
- For more information, contact Jana Kopp by phone 303-774-4875 or by email.
- This book group will be conducted in Spanish.
- Mensualmente, 7 a 8:30 pm
- Fechas planeadas: 12 de febrero, 18 de marzo, 29 de abril, 20 de mayo, 17 de junio
- Amigos de la Lectura es un grupo de lectura mensual para quienes disfrutan la lectura y discutiendo obras en español. Desde estudiantes a jubilados – y todos en medio – ¡todos son bienvenidos! Leeremos y discutiremos novelas, biografías y colecciones de cuentos cortos escritos en español.
- El próximo libro es Los Cuentos de Eva Luna por Isabel Allende.
- Si está interesado pero no tiene tiempo para leer el libro, ¡asista de todos modos!
- Para más información, contacte Jana Kopp por teléfono al 303-774-4875 o por email.
- Este primer grupo de lectura se conducirá en español.
Do you prefer the online experience? Through one of our premium services, the Longmont Library is able to offer patrons access to 12 (that's right, 12!) online book clubs, depending on what you like to read. Pick from:
- Good News
- Teen Club
- Audio Books
- Penguin Classics
Truly something for every reader! This premium service, available only with a Longmont Library card, also includes exclusive weekly interviews and pictures with authors and book giveaways. So, get your library card ready and head over to our virtual book club world to join the conversations!
The Books in a Bag Collection
Have your own book group or thinking about starting one? The Library has done all the legwork for you! Use our Books in a Bag program to jump start organizing your book group or as resources for an existing book group. Click the button to learn more about the program!