We know you come to the Library for books, movies, and programs, but now you can walk out with a whole experience -- in a bag. In spring 2016, the Library introduced an entirely new collection, and it's called the Experience Bag Collection. Some bags aim to immerse you in your favorite movie series or television show and we've called these "Experience Bags." "Destination Bags," will transport you to exotic locales without ever having to pack a suitcase, and "Well-being Bags" will help you lead a happier and healthier life.
Each bag has all you'll need to dive deeper into a favorite subject or destination -- DVD movies, music CDs, cookbooks, games, cocktail ideas, and other small books about the subject. We have bags that are fun for the whole family, as well as bags that are perfect for date night or a girls' get-together.
For instance, perhaps you’re a big fan of "Doctor Who" – use an Experience Bag to create an extra special night in with DVD copies of the series, a Whovian cookbook, and Doctor Who Trivial Pursuit and Mad Libs games.
Meanwhile, “Destination Bags” will whisk you away with native feature films and television shows, delicious cookbooks, and music CDs. Some also contain DVDs highlighting cultural aspects of the destination.
Finally, in July 2018, we introduced "Well-being Bags" into the Experience Bag collection. These bags focus on tips for living a healthier, happier, better-all-around life.
The bags check-out for two weeks, so you have plenty of time to plan and enjoy your bag. Bags are available only to Longmont Library card holders and must be borrowed and returned from the Longmont Library. Bags are not renewable, and each patron may only check out one bag at a time. Overdue fines for all bags in this collection are $1 per day, per bag.
The links below will take you to the Library's catalog, where you can place a hold on the bag of your choice!
Have an Experience:
- NEW! Experience: The 1980's
- Experience: Chocolate
- Experience: Doctor Who
- Experience: Game of Thrones
- Experience: For the Love of Cats
- Experience: For the Love of Dogs
- Experience: Harry Potter
- Experience: The Hobbit
- Experience: Little House on the Prairie
- Experience: Longmire
- Experience: Outlander
- Experience: Sherlock Holmes
- NEW! Experience: Stranger Things
Head to a Favorite Destination:
- Destination: Australia
- Destination: Chino, Japan (a Longmont Sister City)
- Destination: Ciudad Guzmán, Jalisco, Mexico (a Longmont Sister City)
- Destination: France
- Destination: Greece
- Destination: Ireland
- Destination: Italy
- Destination: Hawaii
- NEW! Destination: National Parks
- Destination: Nepal
- Destination: Scotland
Boost Your Well-being:
- Experience Well-being: Supporting Mental Health (Adult)
- Experience Well-being: Supporting Mental Health (Family)
- NEW! Experience Well-being: Memory Minder Kit for Caregivers of Those with Memory Loss (Early Stage)
- NEW! Experience Well-being: Memory Minder Kit for Caregivers of Those with Memory Loss (Middle Stage)
- NEW! Experience Well-being: Memory Minder Kit for Caregivers of Those with Memory Loss (Late Stage)
The bags are located in the Library lobby, between the stairs and the elevator so stop by and browse. We'll be adding more bags over time. Have suggestions? Questions? Drop us a line by email or give us a call at (303) 651-8470.
This program is generously funded by the Friends of the Longmont Library.
Have young children at home?
Take a look at our Youth Experience Bag Collection, too!
We have Book Kits and Experience Bags for preschoolers through teens!