In May, 2014, the Library debuted yet another way to bring reading to the community -- the BookCycle! Funded through a generous start-up and ongoing grant from the Friends of the Longmont Library and built by Pedal Positive in Englewood, CO, the BookCycle quickly became a community favorite. The BookCycle is a tricycle with a two-wheeled storage container attached to the back. The container operates as a mini-library, storing up to 50 books and allowing patrons to check them out wherever the bike visits.
After staff struggled to power the BookCycle around town during its first summer, CAN'd Aid, the "do-gooding arm" of local brewer Oskar Blues, stepped in and donated money for an electronic power-assisted motor for the bike as well as additional staff funding for the initiative. Now, more staff are able to participate in BookCycle outreach -- reaching more areas of our community and getting more books into the hands of happy readers! Although often associated with the Children's and Teens' library section because of its playful appearance, the BookCycle also serves and is equally popular with adults.
The BookCycle quickly became a regular feature at the Longmont Farmer's Market, First Friday Walks on Main Street, Concerts in the Park at Roosevelt Park, exhibition openings at the Longmont Museum, and many other local events.This year, you can spot the BookCycle on Mondays and Fridays at Kanemoto Park, every other Wednesday at the Farmer's Market, and at lots of other great local events. Be sure to check our calendar for any changes to the schedule below, and stop by the Library to take a look at the BookCycle for yourself -- it's usually parked in the West lobby.
The BookCycle Is On The Move Again This Summer!
¡Cuentos y Cultivos!/Farmstand Storytimes
- Second Tuesdays, June through September, 5 to 5:30 pm at Ollin Farms, 8627 N. 95th St.
- The BookCycle will roll up to the Farmstand at Ollin Farms and out will pop a librarian to read books, sing songs, etc! These are bilingual storytimes and fun for the whole family.
- Storytime Themes:
- June 13: Semillas (Seeds)
- July 11: Las Plantas y Sus Raíces (Plants and Their Roots)
- August 8: Siembra una Pizza, Coesha un Burrito (Plant a Pizza/Harvest a Burrito)
- September 12: Una Semilla Muy Especial (A Very Special Seed)
Community Lunch & Literacy in Longmont's Parks
- May 31 through July 27
- Mondays, 11 am to 1 pm, Countryside Village (14th & Collyer)
- Wednesdays, 11 am to 1 pm, Youth Center (1050 Lashley St.)
- Thursdays, 11 am to 1 pm, Rothrock Dell Park (700 E. 5th St.)
- All families and children welcome.
- The BookCycle will be part of the popular community lunch program again this summer, bringing books and fun to Longmont's parks over the summer. Stop by, say hi, and check out a book!
All BookCycle appearances are weather-dependent. Registration is not required.
The BookCycle is usually parked in the Library's West Lobby. Stop in and have a look!
Mayor Dennis Coombs took the inaugural ride on the new BookCycle in May 2014!
Heading out for the Halloween Parade, October 2014!
Wait! That's not a real chicken! It's Children's Librarian Miss Amy!