In our global economy, it never hurts to know another language. Bilingualism can open doors to new careers, new travel opportunities, new cultural experiences, and new friends worldwide.
Don't Spend Hundreds of Dollars on Expensive Language Programs!
The Library has a multitude of resources to help you learn a new language, practice one you're already learning, or brush up on one that you used to know. And best of all, all of these resources are FREE of charge to library cardholders.
Open a door to a another world with a new language. Start today!
Language Learning Just Got Better with Pronunciator
- Offering more than 80 languages, with more being added each year, Pronunciator is your pathway to explore new languages and cultures. If you want to learn to speak it, chances are they've got it.
- Pronunciator includes access to Personalized Courses; 9,600 instructional phrases per language (on average); and streamable, downloadable audio lessons.
- Pronunciator keeps learning fun by incorporating feature films and songs.
- Learn on the go with the Pronunciator app which works in browsers in all Android (tablet, phone), Apple (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch) and Kindle Fire device types.
- Learning English? Pronunciator offers ESL courses taught in 55 non-English languages.
- Becoming a U.S. Citizen? Pronunciator's ProCitizen course is specifically designed for U.S. immigrants to succeed at the Naturalization Test.
- Pronunciator helps kids learn languages! Pronunciator is appropriate from toddlers on up, thanks to thousands of photos and customized pictograms. Units that are particularly kid-friendly are marked with a kids' icon. Kids have access to live teachers that challenge and engage them through regular online sessions.
- Looking to take an intensive deep dive into a language? Many languages have up to ten 8-week structured courses. Each course assumes 5 days per week of study, and 30 to 60 minutes per day of commitment. With a progressive degree of difficulty, the structured courses offer up to 80 weeks (20 months — nearly 2 years) of guided learning per language.
Ready to Start Learning?
- Download and print the clear and simple User's Manual in English OR Spanish.
- Then click the links below to begin your language-learning journey:
Learn a Language with Rocket Languages
- PLEASE NOTE: Our contract with Rocket Languages ends in May. If you are working on a Rocket language course, please try to complete it by May. At that time, Pronunciator will become the Library's only online service for language learners.
- Complete, award-winning language courses online. Learn a new language in a few minutes per day. Comparable to expensive language programs used by business professionals and students worldwide.
- Languages available:
- American Sign Language
- Chinese Mandarin
- English as a Second Language for Spanish and Japanese speakers
- Portuguese Brazilian
- Complete course materials are only available to library cardholders.
- Access Rocket Languages with your library card.
Language Learning with The Great Courses
The Great Courses is one of the premier learning series in the world, and it is THE preeminent learning series if you want high quality instruction from the very best in their fields. Partnering with prestigious organizations the series features engaging and understandable lectures by esteemed professors, professionals, and experts.
The Great Courses offers several language learning options:
- Spanish (I and II)
- English Grammar
Stream The Great Courses your computer or mobile device:
To stream any of The Great Courses' language classes, you only need three things:
- Your library card
- A free RB Digital account
- RB Digital is the same company that provides eMagazines and some eBooks and eAudiobooks to our library patrons, so you might already have an account. Don't have an RB Digital account? No worries -- it's easy to set one up. Simply, go to RB Digital and follow the instructions. You will need to log in to the home page for The Great Courses and then search for the language classes. Problems or questions? Print this simple user's guide, stop by the 2nd Floor Information desk, call (303) 651-8472, or email us.
- WiFi or internet connection
- This is a streaming service only; the programs are NOT available for download to watch at a later time. You must be connected to WiFi or the internet to watch these programs.
Click the button to start streaming!
PLEASE NOTE: You will need to login to your RB Digital account before you can check out any materials
Borrow Language-Learning CDs and Books from our Collections
- Your Library has a wide range of language-learning CDs for every level of fluency. You can find them by searching our catalog.
- Don't discount the value of good, old-fashioned grammar books, language dictionaries, verb books, and workbooks to assist you on your language-learning journey.
- Children's pictures books, and especially those with accompanying audio CD's, can also be a terrific resource for language learners of all ages. With picture books, you'll learn whole phrases in conversational speech. Read this blog for a nice summary of the concept.
Attend Bilingual Events at the Library
The Library offers a variety of programs, mostly aimed at bilingual or learning Spanish-speakers. These meet-ups and programs include:
¿Aprendiendo inglés? Learning Spanish? ¡Hablemos! Let's Talk!
- Tuesdays, 12 to 1 pm & Thursdays, 5:30 to 6:30 pm.
- This meet-up is free and open to anyone wanting to practice their language skills. It is recommended that participants have at least an intermediate level of Spanish to effectively participate, but everyone is welcome to attend. Children are also welcome, but parents should monitor conversations for appropriate content.
- Tuesday lunchtime participants are welcome to bring a brown-bag lunch and come and go as their schedules allow.
- We’ll have tea and sweet snacks on hand for Thursday evening meet-ups.
- Get to know other language learners while practicing conversations with in Spanish or English. We’ll choose themes and games that will be entertaining and interesting to all of us.
- No registration required.
- Meeting is held downstairs in the Conference Room.
- Los martes, de 12:00 a 1:00pm & Los jueves, de 5:30 a 6:30pm.
- No hay ningún costo, y el grupo está abierto a cualquier persona que desea practicar su inglés, o su español. Idealmente, los participantes tendrían por lo menos un nivel intermediario del lenguaje que quieren practicar, pero todos serán bienvenidos. Los niños pueden participar también, pero es la responsabilidad de los padres decidir si la conversación es adecuado para su edad (los temas de conversación varían mucho).
- Los participantes del grupo que se reúne los martes al mediodía pueden traer su proprio almuerzo sencillo o merienda, y no hay problema con venir tarde o salir temprano, según lo permita su horario.
- La Biblioteca proveerá meriendas por el grupo que se reúne los jueves por la tarde.
- Ésta es una oportunidad para conocer a otra gente que está aprendiendo inglés o español. Habrá varios temas interesantes y juegos divertidos.
- No hay que registrarse.
- Se lleva a cabo en el primer piso, en la Sala de Conferencias.
- Every Second Saturday of the Month, 10 to 11 am
- Have some tea and cookies while practicing conversation with others interested in improving their English in an informal, conversational setting.
- We recommend attendees have an intermediate level of English to effectively participate, but everyone is welcome!
- This meet-up is held on the 2nd Floor in the Unquiet Study Area.
- Conversations are conducted entirely in English and are guided by a native English speaker.
- No registration required. Come and go as your schedule permits.
- El segundo sábado de cada mes, 10 to 11 am, empezando 12 de enero
- Reúnese con otras personas interesadas en practicar la conversación en inglés con té y galletitas.
- Ambiente informal de conversación.
- Se recomienda tener un nivel intermedio de inglés para participar efectivamente, ¡pero todos son bienvenidos!
- Nos reunimos en la Biblioteca Pública de Longmont en la sala “Unquiet Study Area” en el segundo piso.
- Conversaciones son solamente en inglés y guiadas por anglohablantes nativos.
- En la Sala de Estudio en Voz Alta.
- No hay que registrarse. Llegue cuando puede, salgue cuando necesite.
Bilingual Storytime/Cuentos Bilingües
- First Thursdays of the Month, 11 to 11:30 am; Second Mondays of the Month, 6 to 6:30 pm
- Join us for 30 minutes of stories, songs, and rhymes in Spanish and English! This program is conducted by a bilingual librarian and all ages are welcome.
- In the Craft Room.
- No registration required.
- El primer jueves de cada mes, 11:00-11:30 (a partir del 7 de febrero); El Segundo lunes de cada mes, 6:00-6:30pm
- ¡Venga con sus niños y juntos disfrutarán de cuentos, canciones, y rimas en español e inglés!.
- Este programa es ofrecido de forma bilingüe y es para toda la familia. Niños menores de 8 años de edad tienen que estar acompañados por un adulto.
- En el Cuarto de Artesanías.
- No hay que inscribirse.
And keep an eye on our programming pages for more great programs for language-learners!
Watch Foreign Language Films
No need to pay for costly movie memberships or subscriptions -- we've got your foreign language films here!Search the Library's catalog for foreign language DVDs.