Visit State Parks for FREE with one of our Backpack Kits!
- Check out a Check Out Colorado Backpack Kit from the Library using your library card.
- Use the pass to visit as many state parks as you'd like in one week.
- Use the materials in the backpack to explore a state park and see what you can learn.
- Share a photo with #CheckOutColorado to our Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Why: The Colorado Department of Parks and Wildlife and the Colorado State Library teamed up to offer this unique experience package to library visitors statewide to encourage more people to take advantage of our beautiful state parks and all they have to offer. The backpack kits were entirely created and funded by these state agencies and provided to 286 participating libraries across Colorado.
- Backpacks are Lucky Day items, meaning they cannot be placed on hold and they check out for up to 7 days (1 week) at a time. No renewals are allowed. Overdue fines for backpack or kit pieces are $3.00 per day, with maximum overdue fines of $30.00. Replacement cost for a lost backpack is $70.00.
What: The State Library has provided us with two Check Out Colorado Backpack Kits. Each Backpack Kit comes equipped with:
- A current year's state park pass hangtag (hang to your car's rearview mirror)
- 1 set of binoculars
- Wildlife Viewing Guide Book
- "Check Out Colorado Wildlife"
- "Check Out Colorado Trees & Wildflowers"
- "Your Guide to Colorado's 42 State Parks"
- "Colorado State Parks Activity Ideas"
- A Leave No Trace Reminder tag
- Information about purchasing your own state park pass
- A questionnaire to let us know what you think of the program.
Where: Wondering where the state parks are in Colorado? Take a gander at this handy Park Finder and plan your next state park visit.
Who: Anyone with a Longmont Public Library card can check out one of our Backpack Kits. None available right now? Check back frequently and ask at the Main Lobby Info Desk! Backpack Kits are no longer available for holds. Existing holds will be honored, but no additional holds will be accepted.
Love this idea and want to tell others? See our printable flyer here.
Curious about state park passes, what they are, and how much they cost? We've got that information here.