If you are charged with a traffic violation (traffic infraction or traffic offense) within the City of Longmont that will come before the Municipal Court, you have the option to participate in a Traffic Safety Class.
The City Prosecutor may offer the option of Traffic Safety Class. By attending a Traffic Safety Class you may receive one point reduction from the standard plea offer (generally 2 points reduction from the original charge).
You are encouraged to participate in a Traffic Safety Class prior to your arraignment date (initial court date) to avoid continuances when possible.
WHAT IS REQUIRED IF I DECIDE TO ATTEND TRAFFIC SAFETY CLASS?
- You MUST attend your arraignment date (initial court date) as indicated on the summons and complaint (ticket) you received from the officer.
- You will be REQUIRED to appear for court again after you have completed the class.
- You MUST bring your Traffic Safety Certificate with you when you come to court. You must also bring your parent or guardian to court if you are a juvenile.
- You may NOT present your Traffic Safety Certificate to the court before your court date.
- You may NOT present your Traffic Safety Certificate to the city prosecutor before your scheduled appointment or court date.
- The court assessed fines and costs will NOT be reduced by attending a Traffic Safety Class. All sentencing options are open to the Court as authorized by law.
WHAT TRAFFIC SAFETY CLASS DO I TAKE?
For traffic violations such as speeding (24 mph or less), failure to yield, unsafe lane change, disregarding a stop sign, careless driving, and other non-aggravated violations, it is recommended that you take a Level One – Defensive Driving Class or equivalent (Alive @ 25 is equivalent).
For traffic violations involving aggressive driving, road rage, reckless driving, speeding (25 mph or greater), and other aggravated violations, it is recommended that you take a Level Two – Defensive Driving Class or equivalent.
TRAFFIC SAFETY CLASS REGISTRATION
The City Prosecutor and the Municipal Court will accept Traffic Safety Classes from the following service providers:
|Colorado Alive @ 25
(must be under 25 years of age)
|For drivers age 50 and older, another option is:
|AARP Smart Driver Course||1-888-687-2277
If you are seeking approval of a Traffic Safety Class from a service provider not listed above, contact the City Prosecutor and/or send a letter to the Court to see if it may qualify.