May 23 - September 14, 2014
Museum invites you to Build It, Drive It, Race It, Fly It
The Longmont Museum’s summer exhibition Planes, Trains, and Automobiles runs through the whole summer. It’s filled with hands-on activities and amazing models.
In this exhibit, visitors will discover the basic concepts of modeling, including scale, realism, and function. They will see vintage and modern models created from a variety of different materials. Some models were originally mass-produced but have become highly collectible. Other models are unique and required hundreds if not thousands of hours to create.
Models on exhibit:
- Working model railroad layouts – watch trains travel around an exact scale model of the Sherman Mine in Cripple Creek, Colorado, and other realistic mines, mills, and villages.
- Prewar and postwar Lionel trains
- Model cars made from cast iron, tin, rubber, and even Bakelite!
- Radio-controlled (RC) airplanes, motorized slot cars, and scale models of aircraft engines
- Create and launch a paper airplane using a blast of compressed air
- Build a custom model car and race it down a slope
- Set Hot Wheels cars in motion down a track with 180 degree hairpin turns.
- Use a real flight simulator to fly a model airplane
- Drive a wooden train around a track (great for younger children)
- Climb inside a model train engine and caboose
- Construct a bridge and race cars across it
Tuesdays at noon | May 27 – September 9
included with exhibit admission
August 3 and 17
2 - 4 pm | Free | all ages
Spellbinders Story Time
August 9 and September 13
1 - 2:30 pm | Free | all ages
L.E.A.F. Beginning Flyers Event
August 9 and September 13 | 10 am - 1 pm
Held at the airfield near Union Reservoir, advance registration required,
call Longmont HobbyTown to register at (303) 774-1557