Children 15 years old and younger are invited to the 16th annual Chick Clark Kids’ Fishing Program season kickoff:
Saturday, March 23, 2019
Izaak Walton Pond, 18 S. Sunset Street
- The day includes a free kids’ fishing clinic (preregistration required), free lunch provided by the Longmont Optimists and free fishing for kids.
- Fishing is limited to children only, age 15 and under, and adults are encouraged to help them.
- Parking is limited, so carpooling is recommended.
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife will provide free rods and reels to the first 250 registered children who attend and complete the free fishing clinic put on by Bennett's Tackle Shop of Berthoud.
Fishing Clinic - Pick Your Session
Four fishing clinic sessions will be offered (preregistration required). Children will progress through five educational stations during their session. All sessions offer the same content.
- 8 a.m.
- 9:15 a.m.
- 10:15 a.m.
- 11:15 a.m.
Please be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your child's session.
Registration Opens Feb. 18, 2019
- Parents need to register their children prior to the event for participation in the fishing clinic.
- Children who are not preregistered can observe the fishing clinic, but they cannot be guaranteed a free rod and reel.
- Groups are welcome, but should sign up early.
- Registration is managed through Recreation Services.
Thanks To Sponsors
This event is hosted by the City of Longmont’s Open Space Division and the non-profit, Kids’ Fishing Inc. with assistance from Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Bennett's Tackle Shop of Berthoud, the Longmont Foundation and the Longmont Breakfast Optimists. The event is funded through private donations by Longmont businesses and numerous anonymous citizen donations.
Izaak Walton Pond is managed year round for youth fishing only, ages 15 years of age and younger. Chick Clark Kids’ Fishing Program is sponsored by private citizens, local businesses, Colorado Parks and Wildlife, and the City of Longmont.
General Fishing Information
Izaak Walton Park is home to a 15.7 acre pond, which is managed as a recreational fishery for the exclusive use of children. Adults are encouraged to help kids fishing, but must preserve this special spot for children.
Naturally reproducing fish contained in the pond include: Large-mouth Bass, Black Crappie, Black Bullheads, Blue-gills, Green Sunfish and Carp. The program stocks catchable rainbow trout in the spring and catchable channel catfish in the early summer.
Kids may use live bait and keep the fish they catch up to the state limit set for each species. The pond is open for fishing during the day only.
Izaak Walton Pond Fishing Program Rules
- Only children 15 years or younger are allowed to fish in the lake.
- Children 15 years and younger do not need a state fishing license and may take a full daily bag limit.
- Anglers must comply with all applicable Colorado Parks and Wildlife regulations.
- All persons present in the park must comply with City of Longmont rules and regulations.
- Live bait is allowed.
- Minimum size and possession limits for species kept must comply with Colorado Division of Wildlife regulations.
- Anglers are encouraged to consider others and only take those fish they will consume within the week.
- Parents are encouraged to accompany and assist children fishing, but should not actively engage in fishing.
- All parents are responsible and must exercise caution and maintain the safe conduct of their children while fishing.
Volunteer Fishing Hosts
The Kids' Fishing Program has a corps of adult volunteers who are available to help at the park. They are private citizens who generously volunteer their time to feed the fish, help kids with fishing techniques, and watch over the park during hours of operation. You can recognize them by their vests. Feel free to ask the Fishing Hosts questions or to seek assistance. Hosts will have the phone numbers needed for emergency services and for other information. If you are interested in becoming a Fishing Host, please contact Dan Wolford.