Applications and Permits
- Backyard Chicken Permits - Ordinance O-2011-02 allows any resident in the City to own and keep chickens in the backyard of residential uses in residential zoning districts and residential uses in non-residential zoning districts.
- Building Permits - A building permit is required for all commercial construction, new construction, and any addition, alteration in, or to, a existing building or structure.
- Carnival Permits - The City permits carnivals that are operating within the City. A carnival application and permit are required.
- Development Applications - Development Services is responsible for coordinating the review of development applications submitted to the City. The review of development applications is coordinated through the Development Review Committee (DRC).
- Home Occupations - Anyone conducting a business out of the home, (i.e. Home Occupation) is required to obtain a complete Home Occupation Affidavit.
- Mobile Retail Food Vending Permit - An annual permit is required to operate a mobile retail food establishment and pushcart on public and/or private property within the City.
- Minor Modification - The Planning and Development Services Department may grant minor modifications to approved projects as stated in the Longmont Municipal Code, Chapter 15 Land Development Code.
- Prairie Dog Management - Due to changes in land use, only 1-2% of all historic Prairie dog habitat still exists. In order for this species to co-exist along Colorado’s Front Range a variety of management practices must be implemented.
- Pre-Application Meetings - A pre-application meeting is required prior to the submittal of a development application and are held every Wednesday between 9 am and noon with the DRC.
- Private Activity Bonds - This tax exempt bond financing program can be used by private and non-profit organizations interested in acquiring land and equipment, as well as construction of facilities.
- Sales and Use Tax - Any entity engaged in any business within the City of Longmont must obtain a City Sales and Use Tax License and collect City sales tax on business transactions within the city.
- Site Plan Waiver/Change of Use - For redevelopment of property with structural additions, site changes, or changes in use. For use when a full site plan review is not required.
- Short Term Rentals - The City of Longmont requires an annual permit and inspections for short terms rentals.
- Temporary Use Permit - A temporary use permit is required for seasonal and holiday sales, as well as special events.
- Use of Public Places - A Use of Public Places permit is required when planning to use an public space for placing a fence or other improvements or conducting a special event, block party or event where alcohol will be served.
- Variances - A Variance is an exception from the specific requirements in the Development Code.
For more information, please contact the Development Services Center at (303) 651-8330.