"Development" means any man-made change to improved or unimproved real estate, including but not limited to the alteration, construction, reconstruction, conversion, or enlargement of any structure; any change in use of a property, building, or structure; and any mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving excavation or drilling operation. The term "development" shall include the act of subdivision, unless otherwise expressly excluded.
The City of Longmont oversees preparation of plan sets and construction of the public improvements associated with new residential and commercial developments.
Public Works, Parks and Open Space, Planning, Water/Wastewater, Longmont Power and Communications, and Fire departments work together to ensure that the public improvements are installed according to the City of Longmont Design Standards and Construction Specifications, answer questions about the development process in Longmont, and work with developers and contractors to resolve problems that may arise during design and construction.
Public Works is responsible for coordinating the Public Improvement Agreements (PIA) and monitoring construction and final acceptances, processing securities and payments, and scheduling inspections.
Permits - the City issues several different types of permits that are required before construction activity may begin.
For water and sewer tap information (New Development/Outside the building) please call 303-651-8304.
For water and sewer tap information (Inside the building) please call 303-651-8332.
Construction/Final Acceptance Process - For more detailed information on the Construction Acceptance Process, please call 303-651-8304.
- Coming Soon - Updated Construction/Final Acceptance Brochure
- Coming Soon - Updated Request for Construction Acceptance for Public Improvements Check List
The City of Longmont Design Standards and Construction Specifications, originally adopted in 1993, includes the design criteria and construction standards for public streets, storm drainage systems, water systems, sanitary sewer systems, arterial landscaping and bikeways, and electric. The 2007 update has been approved by City Council and was effective as of July 1, 2007. For additional information, please refer to the City of Longmont Land Development Code and/or the City's Municipal Code.
As a Design Standards holder, you have several options available to you to obtain an updated copy:
1) Download from this page
2) Mail order bound copy, Insert only (for those who already have a bound copy), or CD Copy - Print and fill out the order form that follows, include a check payable to the City of Longmont, and mail to the address noted. The cost for the bound copy of the update is $35 and the CD is $8, both amounts include shipping. If you wish to reuse your existing Design Standards binder, the cost for just the insert is $32 which includes shipping. The CD version includes the text in Word format and the details in .dwg, .dgn, and .jpg formats.
Complete the Order Form and mail it in with your check.
3) Stop by the Development Services Center at 385 Kimbark Street, and purchase a bound copy for $25, a CD copy for $5, or an insert for $22.
Any questions, please call (303) 651-8304.
2007 DESIGN STANDARDS AND
Download The Whole Set of Files
2007 Design Standards (pdf 8,663 KB)
Download Individual Sections
STORM DRAINAGE SECTION:
LONGMONT POWER & COMMUNICATION SECTION:
APPROVED MATERIALS LISTS:
- Approved Materials List for Public Works
- Approved Materials List for Parks
- Approved Materials List for Longmont Power & Communications
- Approved Materials List for Signals
SUMMARY OF CHANGES
If you'd like to see what changes have been made, please see the Summary of changes.
Changes redlined by section
- General Section 100
- Street Section 200
- Storm Drainage Section 300
- Wastewater Section 400
- Water Section 500
- Parks Section 600
- Longmont Power & Communications 700