Visit our Coronavirus page to stay up-to-date on the latest information and resources. ALL IN-PERSON CITY PROGRAMS AND EVENTS ARE CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. See current closure details.

Información sobre la enfermedad del Covid-19



Work in the Right-of-Way Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Construction Activity

What is City Right-of-Way?

The public right-of-way is property owned and regulated by the City of Longmont. Public right-of-way areas include transportation uses such as streets, alleys, sidewalks, and bike paths in addition to utilities and other public infrastructure.

A Right-of-Way Permit is required prior to any work activities being performed or temporary obstructions in the public right-of-way to ensure it meets City’s standards. Chapter 13.04. - Work in City Property of the Longmont Municipal Code defines the requirements.

Work activities include, but are not limited to:
• Street & alley paving, cuts and repairs
• Curb, gutter, ramp, driveway and sidewalk repairs and/or new installations
• Public and private utility connections, repairs, and new installations
• Tree removal and trimming

Temporary Obstructions - click here to view brochure
• Storage containers/pods and dumpsters (Residents obtaining a permit on a one-time basis are encouraged to apply in person)

How Do I Apply for a Right-of-Way Permit?

You can apply for a Right-of-Way Permit online.  In person permit activities have been suspended until further notice due to COVID-19.  Please continue to check back for updates on when in person activities will resume.  


Step 1: Register for an account on our Citizen Portal web page.

Follow the ACA Citizen Portal - Guide for Public Use to assist you in registering for an account.

Step 2: Complete the online application for a Right-of-Way Permit.

Follow the  ACA - Guide for Right of Way guide to assist you with the application process.

In Person - In person permitting has been suspended until further notice due to COVID-19. Please use the ACA Citizen Portal above to submit your application.  Thank you. 

Apply in person at:
Development Services Center
385 Kimbark Street
Longmont, CO 80501

Staff are only available to issue permits Monday – Friday during the following times:

• 8:30 - 9:30 a.m.
• 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.

Questions? Call us at (303) 651-8330 or e-mail us at:

Who Applies?

Anyone performing work or obstructing the public right-of-way, including temporary storage containers or pods placed on the street.

How Much Does a Permit Cost?

Initial Plan Review:

• 60 Minute Maximum - $25.00
• Additional Plan Review - $25.00/hour

Construction Inspection:

• Up to three inspections per permit - $30.00
• Additional Inspections - $25.00/hour

What is Required to Obtain a Permit?

Traffic Control Plan

A traffic control plan must be submitted for any work that impedes the normal flow of vehicular and bicycle traffic or disrupts pedestrian walkways.

• The submitted traffic control plan shall be in accordance with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Link to the current edition: MUTCD, 2003 Edition, Including Revision 1 dated November 2004
• Company name, contact name, phone number, location, limits of work, width of streets impacted, traffic lanes the size and location of the work areas, and proposed traffic control devices.

Certificate of Insurance

Before a Right-of-Way Permit is issued, the applicant shall provide a current Certificate of Insurance for:

• Commercial General Liability
• Limits: $350,000 / person, $1,000,000/occurrence

The Certificate of Insurance shall include the City of Longmont, its Officers, Agents, and Employees as “Additional Insureds” with the following address referenced:

City of Longmont
Public Works & Natural Resources
385 Kimbark Street
Longmont, CO 80501

Current Homeowners and Renters insurance must be provided for the temporary placement of dumpsters or storage containers/pods.

Insurance certificates and Homeowners/Renters insurance in electronic format can be e-mailed to:

Please refer to City of Longmont Municipal Code: Title 13 – Streets, Sidewalks and Public Places, Chapter 13.04.010 for additional information.

How long does it take?

Once all required documents are received and approved, the permit is generally processed within 24-48 hours. Filing of additional or more complex applications could take up to five business days.

Once I've got the permit, is there anything else?

The contractor should contact the inspector noted on the Right-of-Way permit a day before beginning any work. If there are any questions regarding City requirements, please contact the inspector. No excavation work shall commence until the Utility Notification Center has been notified and utilities are located.

At the conclusion of the work, the inspector should be called for a final inspection.

Permit applications for private infrastructure (i.e. underdrain systems or fiber optics) will require both a Work in the Right-of-Way permit and Infrastructure Permit. An Infrastructure Permit will require additional review time, fees, and added requirements.Infrastructure Permit applications are not available online. The Infrastructure Permit Guide will provide you with the steps necessary for permit issuance.

If right-of-way work is to be done on a state highway, a State Highway Access/Utility Permit must be obtained from the Colorado Department of Transportation prior to applying for a City of Longmont Work in Right-of-Way Permit.

For more information/detailed drawings, please refer to the City of Longmont Design Standards and Construction Specifications.

View Full Site