In early 2015, the City of Longmont began having conversations with the community about what our future should look like; Envision Longmont is the result of that dialogue. Explore these pages, the plan summary (PDF) or the entire plan (PDF) for more details about what is important to Longmont now and into the future. The Envision Longmont Multimodal and Comprehensive Plan was adopted by the Longmont City Council on June 28th 2016.
This plan is an advisory document that outlines Longmont’s vision for the future. It plays several important roles, including:
- Providing policy guidance for elected and appointed officials in making choices regarding the long-range needs of our community
- Helping inform residents, property and business owners, developers, and others invested in or considering investing in Longmont’s plans for the future and our general priorities for implementation
- Promoting continued coordination and collaboration with neighboring jurisdictions and the many public, private, and nonprofit agencies that play a significant role in Longmont’s future and the quality of life of our residents.
There are many things that helped shape discussions with the community and influence the recommendations in the Plan. These included questions like:
- Where and how should we grow?
- How can we proactively address the needs of our changing population?
- How can we promote continued growth and diversification of our economy?
- How can we become more resilient as a community?
- How can we protect and enhance the quality of life of existing and future residents?
The plan has four sections:
- Plan Framework: Includes an overview, as well as information on how to use the plan and factors that have influenced the plan. This section also describes the contents and purpose of each section of the plan.
- Policy Framework: Establishes the policy foundation of the plan organized around the six guiding principles of the plan. Contained in this section are specific goals and policies intended to help the community achieve our desired future.
- Growth Framework: Addresses the physical aspects of the plan, including the future land use plan, the multimodal transportation plan and provides details for the focus areas identified in the plan.
- Implementation Strategies: Outlines a detailed action plan that supports the implementation of the overall plan.