Practice the 4 D's of Prevention!
• Use Deet or an alternative;
• Dress in long sleeves and pants;
• Avoid Dusk until Dawn; and
• Drain standing water.
Mosquito Spray Schedule for July 19, 2018
Longmont’s mosquito control contractor, Vector Disease Control International, will begin adulticide fogging, weather permitting, in 5 Longmont areas on Thursday night, July 19, 2018. Longmont fogging is triggered when West Nile Virus positive mosquitoes are discovered in Larimer, Boulder or Weld counties and when Longmont traps exceed 100 mosquitoes. These areas are scheduled for spraying this week:
• LM-03 Jim Hamm
• LM-22 Sandstone Ranch
• LM-23 Longmont, Union Reservoir
• LM-27 Great Western / Mill Village
• LM-28 St Vrain Greenway @ Emery St
The code corresponds to a boundary map that can be seen below.
News Releases 2018
Currently, there are no news releases in 2018 about West Nile virus. When WNV positive mosquitoes are found and spraying begins in the City, a link to more information will be posted here. Or to receive WNV notices via email visit the City's eNotification subscription page now to sign-up and choose the type of news you would like to receive.
Mosquito Control Strategy
The City of Longmont has contracted with Vector Disease Control International (Formerly Colorado Mosquito Control) to implement an "integrated pest management program" to combat mosquitoes that might carry the West Nile Virus. This program focuses on first attacking mosquitoes in their larval stage before they become airborne. This is the best method since it eliminates mosquitoes before they hatch. This method also minimizes fogging to kill the adult, airborne bugs.
- Get a quick glimpse of the risk indicator updated throughout the mosquito season - low, moderate, or severe (as seen above).
- See weekly trap reports from Vector Disease Control International
- Call Notification & Shutoff Request from Vector Disease Control International - VDCI maintains a database of community residents who wish to have their property excluded from ULV fogging operations. There are three options, 1. Property Shutoff, 2. Property Shutoff with Call Notification of Spraying, or 3. Call Notification of Spraying Only. Please call VDCI at 877-276-4306 to make this request. Or fill out an online request form at www.vdci.net/Colorado#3. Or you can e-mail VDCI at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To report problem areas in your neighborhood or to be notified of the spraying schedule call VDCI at (970) 962-2582.
- Read City of Longmont Mosquito Control Program Annual Reports
- See overview video of Longmont's mosquito strategy (below).
VIDEO - Mosquito Trap Areas in Longmont: Every Sunday night during the summer, Longmont checks mosquito traps for West Nile Mosquitoes. If it becomes necessary to spray for mosquitoes, it will happen on Thursday nights, weather permitting.
VIDEO - Fight the Bite in Longmont : The City of Longmont reminds residents to follow the 4Ds of prevention to protect against mosquitoes that might carry the West Nile virus.
Spray Area Maps
Below are maps of typical mosquito "hotspots" around Longmont. When local spraying is needed it will be concentrated to specific predetermined areas. Spraying typically occurs on Thursday nights (weather permitting). Click on the map links to see specific boundaries and streets.
|Ute Creek Drive, County Line Road||LM-03|
|Venice Street, 15th Avenue, Coffman Street, 10th Avenue||LM-09|
|Spencer Street, 24th Avenue, Francis Street, 17th Avenue||LM-10|
|Airport Road, HWY 66, Lake Park Drive, McIntosh Lake||LM-17|
|Airport Road, Baylor Drive, Princeton Drive, Fordham Street, 9th Avenue||LM-18|
|Great Western Drive, HWY 119||LM-22|
|County Line Road, Union Reservoir||LM-23|
|County Line Road||LM-27|
|1st Avenue, 3rd Avenue, Nelson Road||LM-28|
|95th Street, Pike Road||LM-31|
|Grandview Meadows Drive, Nelson Road, Clover Basin Drive||LM-34|
|Collyer Street, 17th Avenue, Alpine Street, Mountain View Avenue||LM-40|
|Collyer Street, 21st Avenue, Alpine Street, 17th Avenue||LM-41|
|Hover Street, 1st Avenue, Boston Avenue||LM-42|
|Alpine Street, Mountain View Avenue, 9th Avenue||LM-43|
|Clover Basin Drive, Airport Road, Glenneyre Drive, Renaissance Drive, Pike Road||LM-44|
|Longmont Silver Creek - East of 75th Street||LM-47|
The City of Longmont offers an email alert system that provides customers with up-to-date information on a variety of topics including West Nile Virus. If you have an email account at home or work, you will be able to take advantage of notices sent directly to your e-mail address. Go to the eNotification subscription page now to sign-up and choose the type of news you would like to receive.
Practice the 4 D's of Prevention!
- Use Deet or an alternative;
- Dress in long sleeves and pants;
- Avoid Dusk until Dawn; and
- Drain standing water.
- State Department of Public Health and Environment's West Nile virus information hotline (303) 692-2799
- For information in Boulder County, contact the Boulder County Health Department at 303-441-1564 or communicable diseases at (303) 413-7500
- Vector Disease Control International (970) 962-2582
Links to More Information
- Boulder County West Nile Website
- Fight The Bite Website - State wide website regarding West Nile Virus Prevention Program
- State of Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment Information on West Nile Virus
- Federal - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); West Nile Virus video from CDC
- "Mosquito" - a one-hour worldwide look at mosquitoes and their impacts on health and the global economy from the Discovery Channel