PUBLIC SAFETY CITIZEN ACADEMY
Have you ever wondered how heavy that firefighting gear really is? Curious as to why the SWAT team is deployed on some incidents and not others? Do you want to know why firefighters travel to the grocery store in the fire engine? Do you know what the busiest day of the week is for public safety?
Longmont Public Safety's Citizen Academy will answer questions you didn't know you had. It will also offer experiences you won't soon forget. This academy will include hands-on classroom experience, a tour of the Longmont Emergency Communications Center (LECC), and tour of fire vehicles and ambulance.
Topics covered include:
- patrol officers and detectives jobs,
- emergency medical services,
- fire behavior as well as hose and ladders,
- tools and protective equipment utilized by staff,
- fire prevention and investigation,
- emergency communications dispatch self-contained breathing apparatus,
- search and rescue techniques,
- special team deployment, incident command structure, and preparation for large scale emergency management.
Participants must be at least 18 years of age and must have no more than a minimal criminal history. Class size is limited to 30 students. There is no charge to participate. Advance registration is required for the academy, and it is open to any resident who meets established criteria. The course is open to persons of all walks of life, backgrounds and occupations.
1. Students must register on Eventbrite.
2. Applicants will be notified of acceptance into the Citizen's Academy after a criminal history and a driver history is completed.
3. Prior to the start of the academy, participants must sign a waiver. This waiver can be emailed, delivered or mailed to Public Safety Citizen Academy, 225 Kimbark Street, Longmont, CO 80501. (2nd Floor - Detectives)
Residents who have participated in the academy report that their perspective of and appreciation for public safety (Police, Fire, Office of Emergency Management, Longmont Emergency Communications Center) have changed considerably and that they have gained greater understanding of the difficulty of emergency services job.
If you would like to know more about the Longmont Public Safety Citizen Academy and how you can register, please email or call (303) 651-8523.