Public Safety Chief: Mike Butler
The Public Safety Chief is responsible for the overall direction of the Department of Public Safety, which includes the services provided out of the Public Safety Chief's Office as well as the department's four major divisions: Police Services, Fire Services, Support Services and Information Services.
The Public Safety Chief ensures that all employees comply with mandated federal and state laws, municipal ordinances, Colorado POST standards (police) and National Fire Protection Association Codes and Standards.
The Public Safety Chief provides oversight and direction for services provided out of his office. This service ensures that all Public Safety Department divisions, sections, units, offices and teams are appropriately responsive to our community and that our employees are serving within the context of all six of the initiatives in the Focus on Longmont Plan.
Areas of public safety that fall under his office:
- Professional Standards Unit (PSU):
The Professional Standards Unit (PSU) is an investigative and administrative staff unit primarily responsible for ensuring the integrity of the department. The PSU Sergeant focuses on matters of alleged violations or misconduct by members of the Department of Public Safety, promising impartial investigation of complaints, facilitating prompt and just disciplinary action, and identifying organizational conditions, which may contribute to misconduct, exposure to liability or poor efficiency. Reporting directly to the Public Safety Chief, PSU has full authority to conduct investigations without interference from any member. PSU is also responsible for policy manual updates, as well as working with the commendation process for department members. To reach PSU to relay a complaint or a commendation about a member of the Department of Public Safety, please email or call (303) 651-8537.
- Crime and Information Research Analyst (CIRA): The Crime Information and Research Analyst (CIRA) researches, compiles, analyses and evaluates information and data which assist the department in planning its services, training and resources. In addition, this position administers and conducts surveys, provides cost-benefit analyses, compiles and edits the Annual Report, and works with the needs of various police department/community programs, as well as recommended technology upgrades. The department's Strategic Plan is also administered and updated by the CIRA. To reach CIRA, please email or call (303) 651-8541.
- Marketing/Social Media: Marketing administers the department's communication, public relations and marketing strategies, including the use of social media. For additional information please email or call (303) 651-8424.
- Office of Emergency Management (OEM): The Office of Emergency Management works with local, government, state, federal, and volunteer organizations to provide resources and expertise through the four phases of emergency management: preparedness, response, recovery, mitigation. To speak with someone regarding efforts in Longmont, please email or call (303) 651-8433.
- Public Safety Divisions: Fire Services, Police Services, and Support Services Deputy Chief’s also report to the Public Safety Chief.
For additional information please email or call (303) 651-8533.