If you are seven months pregnant your car seat should already be installed! Your car seat should be in place long before you go to the hospital – plan ahead. What you should know:
EFFECTIVE APRIL 1, 2018 -- The City of Longmont provides a child car seat safety check point which is available via an appointment on Eventbrite.
Firefighters will "check" the installation or "teach" citizens how to install the car seat.
The appointment can be scheduled on Wednesdays if made 24 hours in advance. The time slots available are between 1pm and 5pm. Once you submit your request, you will be contacted the Tuesday before and a station and address will be provided for your appointment. Select an appointment.
- If you have two vehicles, it is recommended that you bring both to the checkpoint.
- There is no charge to participate in the car seat safety checkpoint.
- If you have older children, please bring them with you so that we can make sure they are in appropriate car seats/adjusted properly in connection with the new car seat for your newborn.
Other local fire departments offering car seat safety check points:
- Berthoud Fire Protection District
- Boulder Rural Fire Protection District
- Frederick/Firestone Fire Protection District
- Mountain View Fire and Rescue
COLORADO CHILD PASSENGER SAFETY LAW
Requirements (see page 2 of document) for car seats in the State of Colorado set by the Colorado Department of Transportation.
CAR SEAT TIPS
The American Academy of Pediatrics provides a number of tips for the selection of a car seat as well as instructions for installation.
OBTAINING A CAR SEAT
The City of Longmont does not have a program to provide free car seats.
If you need further information NOT COVERED on this web page, please call Longmont Fire Services at (303) 651-8437 or email .