If you are seven months pregnant your car seat should already be installed! Your car seat should be in place long before you go to the hospital – plan ahead. What you should know:
The City of Longmont provides a car seat safety check point on the second Wednesday of every month at Longmont Fire Services Station 2, located at Mountain View Avenue and Hover Street, from 2 pm until 7 pm.
Other local fire departments offering car seat safety check points:
- Berthoud Fire Protection District
- Boulder Rural Fire Protection District
- Frederick/Firestone Fire Protection District
- Mountain View Fire and Rescue
YOU DO NOT NEED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO ATTEND THE CAR SEAT CHECKPOINT.
- If you have two vehicles, it is recommended that you bring both to the checkpoint.
- There is no charge to participate in the car seat safety checkpoint.
- If you have older children, please bring them with you so that we can make sure they are in appropriate car seats/adjusted properly in connection with the new car seat for your newborn.
COLORADO CHILD PASSENGER SAFETY LAW
Requirements (see page 2 of document) for car seats in the State of Colorado set by the Colorado Department of Transportation.
CAR SEAT TIPS
The American Academy of Pediatrics provides a number of tips for the selection of a car seat as well as instructions for installation.
CAN NOT AFFORD A CAR SEAT?
The City of Longmont is not able to provide free car seats to those in need.
CAR SEATS TO DONATE
If you have a car seat to donate that meets the following criteria, you may email us and we will assist in connecting you with someone that may be interested in your car seat.
- Car seat must be less than five years old
- You must know the history of the car seat
- Car seat may not have been involved in a car accident
If you need further information NOT COVERED on this web page, please call Longmont Fire Services at (303) 651-8437 or email .