At least one woman is battered every fifteen seconds. Very few will tell anyone. Victims of domestic violence come from all walks of life, all cultures, all income groups, all ages and all religions. They share feelings of helplessness, isolation, guilt, fear and shame.
2016 Longmont Domestic Violence Data
Are you abused? Does the person you love...
- "Track" all of your time?
- Constantly accuse you of being unfaithful?
- Discourage your relationships with family and friends?
- Criticize you for little things?
- Anger easily when drinking alcohol or taking drugs?
- Humiliate you in front of others?
- Destroy personal property or sentimental items?
- Hit, punch, slap, kick, or bite you or the children?
- Use, or threaten to use, a weapon against you?
- Force you to engage in sex against your will?
If you answer "yes" to even a few of these questions, it's time to get help! There are no easy answers, but there are things you can do to protect yourself:
- Call the police at 9-1-1 for an emergency or (303) 651-8555 for a non-emergency. Assault, even by family members, is still a crime.
- Leave the house, have someone come stay with you, or go to a battered-women's shelter. In Longmont, you can contact the Safe Shelter of St. Vrain Valley, at (303) 772-4422 (24-hour crisis line) or the Longmont Ending Violence Initiative (LEVI) at (303) 774-4534.
- Get medical attention from your doctor or a hospital emergency room. Ask the staff to photograph your injuries and keep detailed records in case you decide to take legal action.
Don't ignore the problem! Contact your family court for information about a civil protection order that doesn't involve criminal charges or penalties or talk to a friend about it. Part of the abuser's power comes from secrecy. Finally, plan ahead and know what you will do if you are attacked again. If you decide to leave, choose a place to go and set aside some money. Put important papers together -- marriage license, birth certificates, checkbooks, insurance information -- in a place where you can get them quickly.