Visit our Coronavirus page to stay up-to-date on the latest information and resources. ALL IN-PERSON CITY PROGRAMS AND EVENTS ARE CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. See current closure details.

Información sobre la enfermedad del Covid-19




Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Has a friend become moody, short-tempered, and hostile? Does he seem "spaced out?" Is she suddenly failing courses and hanging out with kids you don't trust?

Stop and think about it. Your friend may have an alcohol or other drug problem.

Additional signs of drug or alcohol abuse include: mood swings, deceptive behavior, unexplained money shortages, change in appearance, and change in lifestyle or habits. Among children, symptoms also include significant declines in school grades and activities and "new" friends whom your child is unwilling to discuss.

How to talk to a friend who is in trouble

Plan ahead what you want to say and how you want to say it. Choose a quiet and private place to talk using a calm voice. Let your friend know that you care and want to help. Find out about local hotlines and drug-abuse counseling and offer to go along with him or her.

Take a stand!

Remind friends of the downfalls of using drugs. Buying or possessing illegal drugs is against the law and penalties for drug-related offenses are usually harsh. Remind them that using intravenous drugs also increases their risk of getting AIDS.

The Longmont Police Department has a Special Enforcement Unit (SEU) which conducts undercover and surveillance operations. The majority of these investigations are drug-related. If you suspect someone you know of using or dealing illegal drugs, you may call the drug hotline at (303) 651-8585, and leave a recorded message. You do not have to leave your name, and the call will not be traced. If you want to speak to a detective, leave a name and a call-back number.

If you find substances in your child’s possession and would like to have them identified with no questions asked, call the S.E.U. Sergeant at (303) 651-8534. You may also call 1-800-COCAINE to answer emergency questions about cocaine use; or call 1-800-662-HELP, a 24-hour hotline that can tell you how and where to get help for alcohol and other drug problems.

To obtain written prevention/education materials regarding kids and drugs, please email or call (303) 774-4440.

For information about Longmont Public Safety Angel Initiative Program. 

To anonymously provide information on illegal drug activity you may call the Longmont Police Department's Drug Hotline at (303) 651-8585.



View Full Site