FIRE Ride Along
The Longmont Fire Department allows guests, who agree to the conditions listed below, to visit fire stations, ride on fire apparatus, and observe the daily activities of firefighters.
- Ride along periods range from 1 pm until 5 pm.
- Guests must be at least in the ninth grade.
- Only one guest per crew is allowed.
- Guests are limited to one visit per calendar year.
- Guests are required to sign a copy of the “Guest Form” and a “City of Longmont Fire Department Agreement Assuming Risk of Injury, and Damage Waiver and Release of Claims and Indemnity Agreement.” A parent or legal guardian and an adult witness are required to counter sign both agreements when the Guest is under the age of 18. There are two forms: adult 18+and juvenile 17 and younger.
- Riders may only observe operations; they are not allowed to participate in emergency operations. On medical emergency calls, guests are not allowed into residential buildings or other areas were there may be an expectation of privacy.
- Ride-alongs are required to stay in the fire truck at vehicle accidents, fires, and hazardous materials emergencies until receiving specific instructions from a firefighter.
- Guests are required to present a clean and neat appearance.All guests must wear long pants, shirt, shoes and socks. YOu may wear a ball cap, coat or stocking cap when weather dictates. All clothing must be clean with no patches, frays, fringe, tears, holes, lettering, graphics, logos, pictures, drawings, etc. (exception: a small icon/monogram ie small alligator, initials, swoosh)
- The company officer may end the guest visit if at any time their appearance, behavior or attitude is a distraction, disruptive, dangerous or unacceptable in any way.
- Guests are not allowed to have a cell phone, pager, radio, any recording or playback device (including an iPod, CD, DVD player or similar devices), still or video cameras during a visit. Guest may be allowed to use the Department cell phone if detained at a call past scheduled end of the visit.
- Guests shall not disclose or discuss any information they may witness or hear regarding any patient, victim, suspect, medical condition, situation, or treatment.
- Visits are scheduled by contacting the Longmont Fire Services by email or at (303) 651-8437.
POLICE Ride Along
Longmont Police Services offers a Ride-Along Program to allow citizens the opportunity to view law enforcement operations from the perspective of an officer. The program allows individuals 14 years of age or older to participate. There are certain restrictions, however. If applicants have a questionable criminal or traffic history or if they pose a potential hazard to the officer, the public, or themselves, they may be disqualified.
Applications for the Ride-Along Program may also be obtained by contacting the front desk in the lobby of the Police Department at 225 Kimbark St. or by calling (303) 651-8555. When the completed application is received, a routine background check is performed by the Police Records Section. Review of the application is done by a watch commander, who has final discretion in approving or denying the ride-along. Citizens are limited to one ride-along every six months; however, some exceptions may be made at the discretion of the watch commander.
Please send completed ride along forms to the Longmont Police Department, ATTN: Report Takers Office, 225 Kimbark St., Longmont, Colorado, 80501.
For further information, call Longmont Police Services at (303) 651-8555.