The Student Intern Program for Longmont Fire Department allows college students who are interested in Fire Science careers to experience the practical work environment. Applicants must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA, be enrolled in a college or university in the Front Range area, and have a valid driver's license. Student Intern Program (SIP) participants must pass a stringent selection process involving oral board interview, integrity interview, polygraph examination, drug screening, and a background check.
Longmont Fire will be accepting applications for the following:
Summer and Fall / Deadline April 1
Spring Semester / Deadline November 1
PLEASE NOTE: All applications must be postmarked, or hand delivered to the department, no later than date stated above for program consideration.
This is an unpaid volunteer position for those outstanding college students interested in a future fire science career. Student Interns are uniformed. Additional information regarding this pilot program will be posted as it becomes available.
Duties of a Fire Intern
Duties of a Fire Intern may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist crews with station clean up and maintenance
- Assist with fire prevention
- Assist with safety talks
- Station tours
- Special event assistance: Rhythm on the River, 4th of July, parades, etc.
- Assistance on medical calls with equipment set-up and preparation
- Assist AC – Major incidents; scribe, communication, and driving
- Assist with fire ground needs – rehab, air trailer, hitting the hydrant (when trained to do so); help to stage tools, equipment; help with traffic control
- Assist with traffic accidents – absorbent, cone placement
- Staging equipment
- Assist with training – set up, facilitation
- Duties as assigned
Students may either take the internship for college credit and/or contribute 10 hours per month. Students may start as freshmen and can stay until one semester beyond college graduation. Students must maintain a 2.5 GPA.
The completed volunteer application can be returned to the Longmont Fire Department, ATTN: Robin Ericson, 225 Kimbark St., Longmont, CO 80501.
If you have questions regarding this program, please email Robin Ericson or call (303) 651-8424.