Rhythm on the River works towards a zero-waste model through education and involvement of the public to promote a sustainable model for other festivals to follow.
ZERO WASTE ETHOS
The philosophy of Zero Waste may be best portrayed in nature, where nothing is wasted. “Leave no trace.” Any available resources are recycled and reused in some form or fashion. At ROTR, Zero Waste is a goal, a process, a profound way of thinking about changing the perception of our “trash” year-round and at the festival itself. Zero Waste is not simply about recycling, composting and diversion from landfills, but about preventing waste in the first place.
WHAT MAKES RHYTHM GREEN?
REDUCE, REUSE, AND RECYCLE
- Minimize waste from the source, including products with unnecessary packaging, disposable components and items that are not recyclable.
- Work with City Solid Waste Services to provide comprehensive waste stations (recycle, compost, trash) as part of a zero-waste goal.
- 2017 by Numbers
- 3.88 tons of recyclable and compostable material
- 1.72 tons of trash
- 2017 by Numbers
- Purchase environmentally preferred products
- Choose environmentally and socially responsible suppliers
- Provide environmentally responsible giveaways
- Use reusable supplies when possible (i.e. linens vs plastic table cloths)
PROVIDE SUSTAINABLE FOOD SERVICE
- Provide reusable service ware
- Donate unused food to shelters, food banks
- Promote organic or locally grown food choices
- Serve condiments in bulk
- Prohibit the use of any and all Styrofoam
- City Water Utility provides clean, fresh Longmont water for attendees, volunteers, and staff to fill their own reusable beverage containers
ENCOURAGE ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION
- City Parks, Open Space & Trails provides convenient pedestrian and bicycle access to Roger's Grove Park via St. Vrain Greenway trail
- Provide bike parking in a central location
COMMUNICATE SUSTAINABILITY AWARENESS
- Provide ongoing incentives, awareness, and training for volunteers to encourage support and participation
- Commit to electronic communication: Use web and email to promote
- Provide reusable signs