A weekend holiday celebration Dec. 7 and 8, 2018
2018 Parade Theme: Jingle Bell Rock
From ancient time, light has been both a source of mystery and magic, providing necessary warmth and guidance. Enjoy the mystery and magic of millions of sparkling lights and the sights and sounds of winter holiday celebrations as Longmont Lights continues with special activities in Roosevelt Park Dec. 7 and 8.
Mail or turn in completed Parade Applications at the St Vrain Memorial Building, 700 Longs Peak Ave, Longmont, CO 80501 or email email@example.com (include payment by check or call 303-651-8404 to pay with a credit card). A copy of your automobile insurance must be included. Deadline is Monday, Nov. 26.
2018: All parade entries are eligible for prizes! A panel of judges will make their selection before the parade begins. Note: Your completed float and riders must be in lineup by 3:30pm in order to be judged. Each winning entry will be awarded a banner to proudly display along the route. The categories are:
• Grand Marshal's Award - Best Entry: $250 prize
• Pioneer Award - Best Historical or Cultural Theme: $100 prize
• Holiday Spirit Award - Best Use of Lights: $100 prize
• Harmony Award - Best Musical Group: $100 prize
• Bright Horizon Award - Best Youth Group: $100 prize
Sponsorship provided by:
Judging Criteria is based on the following elements:
• General Effect in Presentation: The overall effective presentation of the float. Beauty and creativity.
• Workmanship: Craftsmanship in float creation. Design details including use of colors and materials.
• Parade Theme: The creativity in the use of lights.
Full details are listed on the Longmont Lights Parade Float Application.
2018 Longmont Lights Holiday Parade Grand Marshal - Doug Ward
Doug Ward is the 2018 Longmont Lights Holiday Parade Grand Marshal. Doug and his wife, Karen, moved to Colorado in 1967 for a job at IBM and originally lived in Boulder. When they decided to buy a home, they were drawn to Longmont because the community felt much like the farming and ranching area where he was raised. They moved to Longmont Thanksgiving weekend 1968. Doug worked for IBM until 2006. He had a great career and while he was not looking toward retirement, he decided he wanted to do more within the community. Doug said it is a decision he has not regretted.
These last few years he's been privileged to be associated with literally hundreds of passionate, dedicated people—most of them volunteers—promoting sustainability and quality of life, delivering human services, advancing the arts, promoting the downtown Longmont Creative District, implementing restorative justice, restoring flood damaged homes, and advocating for those within our community with issues of mental health. Just being around the dedicated people in these initiatives, Doug said one can’t help but be inspired and motivated.
Doug and Karen have six great kids who all attended Longmont Estates and graduated from Longmont High School.
2018 Longmont Lights Holiday Parade Float Contest Winners
- Grand Marshal's Award - Best Entry: St Vrain State Park - Camping
- Pioneer Award - Best Historical or Cultural Theme: Calvin Keim and Friends
- Holiday Spirit Award - Best Use of Lights: Artisan Concrete – Grinch
- Harmony Award - Best Musical Group: Left Hand Artist Group – Rock Stars
- Bright Horizon Award - Best Youth Group: Salud Family Health Center Longmont – Jingle Bell Rockin’ Dr. Dinosaurs
Things to know about Longmont Lights Event
- Parking: Parking lots are located around Roosevelt Park and downtown locations. Parking lots located off Coffman Street will close at 3 pm on Saturday, Dec. 8, for the Longmont Lights Parade. All cars in Coffman Street parking lots at 3 pm must remain until roads reopen following the parade at 8 pm. Download directions to Roosevelt Park.
- Pets: Please be considerate of fellow festival goers and leave all pets at home.
- Restrooms: Restrooms are located at west and east ends of Roosevelt Park, inside the Longmont Senior Center and in the St. Vrain Memorial Building.
- ATMs: Cash machines are located at Wells Fargo Bank and US Bank, within two blocks of Roosevelt Park, for your convenience in purchasing food.
- Weather Policy: The event goes on in all weather conditions.
- The parade is on Saturday, Dec. 8. There is a single Longmont Lights parade. It is on Saturday, Dec. 8, 2018 beginning at 5 pm. The parade line-up begins at 3 pm. Download Parade of Lights Float Application Float applications are due November 26, 2018.
Schedule - check back for updates - subject to change
Friday, Dec. 7, 2018 (times vary between 5-8pm)
- Santa's Workshop - 5 to 7:30 pm: This parent/child activity workshop is geared for children ages 10 and under. Free craft (one per family please), courtesy of Home Depot. Visits with Santa are available from 5 to 7:30 pm: due to Santa's overwhelming schedule, the line to see Santa will be cut-off at 7:15 pm in order to adhere to the closing time of 7:30 pm.
- Live Reindee - 5 to 7:15pm: Stop by the front of the St Vrain Memorial Building for a visit with a few of Santa's reindeer. As the reindeer do not appreciate fireworks as much as humans do,the reindeer will be leaving at 7:15pm.
- Ice Sculpting by Cool Hand Ice Carving (Jess Parrish)
- Hot Cocoa Carts
Sponsored by Longmont United Hospital Centura Health, Meals on Wheels and New Creation Church
- Balloon Glow by Cheyenne Hot Air Balloon Club - 5:30-7:30pm
- Tiny Town North Pole Village by Simblissity
- Fire Pits: Visit the warmth of the fire pits as you walk around Roosevelt Park and see the millions of lights sparkle!
- Food Truck Sales: Stop by to purchase food from various local food truck vendors at the Longs Peak parking lot area next to the park.
- Open Skating at Longmont Ice Pavilion:
The City's Ice Pavilion will have "Open" skating throughout the day.
- 12:30 to 7:30 pm Open Skating (regular admission fees apply)
- Concerts and more at the Senior Center:
- David Coile's Music Extravaganza
5-6 pm, Senior Center, 6-7 pm Roosevelt Park
- Longmont Concert Band - 6 to 7:45 pm, Senior Center
- David Coile's Music Extravaganza
- Train Rides: The last train ride will end at 7:30 pm.
- Fireworks display: 7:45 pm - weather permitting
Fireworks will fill the air at Roosevelt Park (north end of the St. Vrain Memorial Building) on Friday, Dec 7, at 7:45 pm.
Special thanks to our fireworks sponsor, Bank of Colorado.
Saturday, Dec. 8, 2018
- 1 pm to 9 pm: Open Skate Ice Skating (regular admission and skate rental rates apply)
- 3:30 pm: Parade line-up begins along Longs Peak Avenue and Bross Street.
- Downtown Winter Wonderland - 3-5pm: Stop by St. Stephen's Plaza in Downtown Longmont (500 Main Street) for interactive activities, music, family fun and more! Sponsored by LDDA
- 5 pm: Parade begins: This year’s theme is “Jingle Bell Rock.” Main Street will be illuminated with more than 60 floats twinkling with lights. Come watch this magical parade filled with high school marching bands, costumed characters and much more.
The parade will proceed from third avenue up to 8th avenue, creating an extra block of viewing space for spectators!
Thank you to our Sponsors of Longmont Lights!
Xfinity - Title Sponsor, Longmont Lights
Additional thanks to:
Bank of Colorado
Harvest Junction by Meritage Homes
Longmont United Hospital / Centura Health
Meals on Wheels
New Creation Church
Village at the Peaks
High Plains Bank
Longmont Power & Communication and Broes Electric are proud to support the Longmont Lights Festival. We encourage you to make the switch to energy-efficient LED lighting and save energy this holiday season. At LPC's low residential rate, the average 25-bulb string of traditional lights costs $2.08 per month to use. A 100-bulb string of mini lights costs an average of $0.33 per string. LED lights, however, costs about $0.002 (less then a penny) per month. LED Lights are a bright idea. Use LED holiday lighting for energy efficiency.
NOTICE: Links to external sites of private businesses and listing those businesses on this website do not constitute advertising for nor endorsements by the City of Longmont. By visiting this and other City of Longmont web pages, you expressly agree to be bound by the policies of the site.