Hard to recycle items are those things that cannot go in your curbside recycling cart. For a reminder of what can go into your curbside cart, check out the Single Stream Recycling Guide. For items not listed, ask our Waste Wizard and explore the resources below to find additional recycling options. Many retailers also now offer recycling for things like print cartridges, batteries, plastic bags and more.
Still have questions after asking the Waste Wizard and reading this page? Contact the Recycling Hotline for Boulder County for hard to recycle questions.
CHaRM: Center for Hard to Recycle Materials
The CHaRM, located at 6400 Arapahoe Road in Boulder, accepts a wide array of Hard to Recycle items. Each vehicle is charged a $3 entry fee to utilize the CHaRM. Learn more about fees to recycle various items and what is free at www.ecocycle.org/charm
- EcoCycle A-Z Recycling Guide (for Boulder County)
- Environmental Protection Agency Electronics Donation & Recycling (National)
Longmont Waste Diversion Center
The Waste Diversion Center, located at 140 Martin Street in Longmont, accepts the following Hard to Recycle items year-round for recycling at no cost to Longmont residents. Please stop at the attendant’s window and someone will direct you to the special collection bins.
Plastic Bag Recycling
- Plastic shopping bags
- Newspaper bags
- Plastic zipper (Zip-loc®) bags
- Dry cleaner bags
- Bubble wrap
- Bags must be clean, dry, and empty of all food, receipts, etc., with tape and stickers removed.
- NO plastic food wrap or black trash bags.
Used Automotive Oil, Cooking Oil, and Automotive Battery Recycling
- Oils will only be accepted in clear, one-gallon containers and must not be contaminated with anything else (including water or other chemicals). We recommend clear, plastic milk or distilled water jugs.
- Automotive and rechargeable batteries (including motorcycle and boat batteries) may be brought to the same collection site. Note: Alkaline batteries are not recyclable and may be discarded in your curbside trash bin.
Block Styrofoam® Material Recycling
- Only white foam block #6 is accepted - no foam peanuts.
- No refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners or any other appliances containing Freon are accepted.
- No chain link fencing is accepted.
- Items that are 50% or more metal are accepted.
- Items that have gasoline or oil must be drained of all fluids.
- Microwaves are accepted but the glass plate must be removed.
When using the Waste Diversion Center, please be sure to bring a current City of Longmont utility bill and identification to show that you are a city resident paying for trash/recycling services.