With over 450 miles of water line delivering over 5 billion gallons of high quality water to customers each year, it is critical that Longmont take care of its water lines to provide a reliable and efficient service. The City’s annual Water Line Replacement Program contracts with private sector contractors for replacement of deteriorating lines.
Your Dollars at Work
The Water Line Replacement Program is paid for through the Water Utility operating fund, which is funded through utility bills.
Selected Water Lines
This annual program prioritizes lines for replacement based on frequency of breaks and ability to complete multiple replacements in a consolidated area. The Water Line Replacement Program is a long-term, strategic effort. Breaks and basic care activities are performed through the City's utility maintenance operation.
2019 Water Line Replacements
Water line replacement work is anticipated to run from August to November. Water line replacements will be made at seven locations in 2019.
- Kimbark Street (from 19th Avenue to Buckley Drive) Resident Business
- Emery Street / Corey Street alley (from 17th to 19th Avenues)
- Emery Street (from 15th to 17th Avenues)
- Gay Street (from 21st to 23rd Avenues)
- Baylor Drive
- Columbia Drive
- University Drive
If your home or business is located in one of the replacement locations, you will receive a letter at least one week before the project notifying you of the work to be performed, timeline for completion and anticipated impacts to you. Click the hyperlink above to view the letter for your street. (These links will be updated as letters are sent.)
City and contractor staff perform the following standard planned sequence for replacement of any water line.
- Locate utilities and cut pavement along new water line alignment
- Excavate and install new water line
- Tie in new water line to existing water line (location varies and is site dependent)
- Conduct water quality and pressure testing; usually takes a minimum of 7 days
- Connect individual water services
- Connect the new water line to the existing water line (location varies and is site dependent)
- Complete permanent asphalt paving and site clean-up
Please contact Water with any questions or concerns related to the Water Line Replacement Program.