Resilient St. Vrain
Click the funding graphic above to open a PDF file that can be downloaded to your computer or enlarged for easier viewing.
Construction on this very large project is taking place in phases beginning on the downstream end. The work will take many years, including time for vegetation to take hold and regrow. All construction dates and costs are estimated and subject to change as the project progresses.
The cost for work on Resilient St. Vrain is estimated between $120 million and $140 million. Note that this amount is not the City's portion of the cost, as it includes federal, state and other funding sources.
Partial project funding is coming from a variety of sources, including:
- $20 million in voter-approved Storm Drainage Bonds
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- Community Development Block Grant-Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR)
- Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO)
- State and County funds
- Other existing City funds, including 3/4-cent Street Fund sales and use tax
The City of Longmont continues to actively seek grants and other financial partners to help fully fund the project. One such partner is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Feasibility Study
Longmont has entered an agreement with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) for the USACE to conduct a feasibility study of the section of the St. Vrain Creek running from the BNSF railroad bridge to Lykins Gulch. This feasibility study builds upon the existing work done through Resilient St. Vrain.
The purpose of this analysis is to locate an area within the study section that could possibly qualify for a $15 million project as part of the Corps of Engineers' 205 program. (Of that $15 million price tag, $10 million of the cost would be paid for by the Corps, with $5 million contributed by Longmont.) Section 205 of the Flood Control Act of 1948 pertains to Small Flood Risk Management Projects. It allows the USACE to construct or improve site-specific flood risk management projects. If a qualifying project area is determined, the Corps of Engineers would oversee the planning, design and construction of the project while coordinating closely with Longmont.
Representatives from the Corps of Engineers introduced the feasibility study and its timeline to the public during an open house on February 16, 2017. View the USACE open house presentation (3 MB PDF).
Public comments were accepted on Phase 1 of the feasibility study through March 17. The public comment period is now closed.
Progress Update - February 2018
The USACE is evaluating options (known as alternatives) for work in the area upstream of the BNSF railroad bridge to just upstream of the Sunset Street Bridge. A report on their findings is anticipated to be ready for public review and feedback in late summer 2018. A public meeting will be scheduled at that time.