Visit our Coronavirus page to stay up-to-date on the latest information and resources. ALL IN-PERSON CITY PROGRAMS AND EVENTS ARE CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. See current closure details.



Contractors Information and Resources

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

General Information


You must be a licensed contractor in Longmont to do contracting work in the City (Longmont Municipal Code 16.48.030).

As a homeowner you can act as your own contractor and do the work without a contractor's license on your own property where you live. However, if you subcontract a project, electrical wiring for example, then the subcontractor must be licensed to work in Longmont. You may as a homeowner be issued a permit for subcontracted work; however, you are also responsible for inspections and sign-offs on the permit card.

Currently, the City of Longmont does not have reciprocal licensing agreements with any other jurisdiction. The City does honor however, a current test result certificate from the International Code Council. Tests are given at PearsonVu locations throughout the state. You may also find more information at the International Code Councils website


For details on types of licenses, testing, renewals, and fees, click on the menus on the left. If you have additional questions, please contact Building Inspection at (303) 651-8332 or

Insurance and Workman's Compensation

    Class D Contractors

    General Liability - Not less than:
    • $ 500,000 combined single limit (CSL)
    • $1,000,000 general aggregate
    • $1,000,000 products completed aggregate

    All Other Contractors

    General Liability - Not less than:
    • $1,000,000 combined single limit (CSL)
    • $2,000,000 general aggregate
    • $2,000,000 products completed aggregate

    All contractor are required to show proof of workers' compensation insurance when applicable. 

    For the specific code language on liability insurance requirements, please see below:

    16.48.070. - Liability insurance requirements.

    A. Every contractor granted a license under the provisions of this Code shall be required to maintain general liability insurance of a minimum of not less than $1,000,000.00 combined single limit (CSL), $1,000,000.00 general aggregate and $1,000,000.00 products completed aggregate for Class D contractor licenses, and $1,000,000.00 CSL, $2,000,000.00 general aggregate, and $2,000,000.00 products completed aggregate for all other licenses.
    B. Contractors shall be required to show proof of worker's compensation insurance when applicable.
    (Code 1993, § 16.48.070; Ord. No. O-89-26, § 1; Ord. No. O-95-87, § 2; Ord. No. O-2014-33, § 6, 6-24-2014)


    Click below to download an application for your new or renewed licenses.

    Contractor License Application [PDF]

    Contractor Renewal Application

    Sales and Use Tax License Application 

    Home Occupation Application -you will need to file this if you are operating your business from your home.

    View Full Site