We know that when you want something from your library, you want to get it as quickly and easily as possible. With that in mind, we're constantly on the lookout for new technologies to improve your library experience. Our latest, greatest find is a new system for searching and accessing our catalog.
On April 1, 2016 (no foolin'!), the Longmont Public Library joined the Flatiron Library Consortium (FLC). The FLC is a group of local libraries -- Boulder Public Library, Lafayette Public Library, Louisville Public Library, and Mamie Doud Eisenhower Library in Broomfield -- that has pooled their resources in order to offer a better catalog of materials to residents throughout Boulder and Broomfield counties. Below we give you all the details you need to know, plus some video tutorials. Or you can just skip ahead, click the button below, and test drive our catalog now:
Why Do I Care? you may ask...
- Our membership in the consortium means that you have access to all the titles in the library group's catalogs, without having to get a new card or do anything different. When you search our catalog, you'll see all the materials in the other libraries' as well. Think about that: More. Books. To. Read. !!!!
- The item checkout limit is 99.
- You can place holds from the catalog on materials in any of the participating libraries, and your materials will be sent to you here at Longmont when they are available. Longmont patrons will have first chance at all Longmont materials before they are sent to other libraries.
- Longmont items will always fill Longmont holds first.
- Items from other libraries will help fill Longmont holds once their own holds have been filled.
- Though the holds queue may be longer, it usually moves faster.
- All book checkouts will be 3 weeks, regardless of waiting holds.
- Materials that you request from the other participating libraries will arrive in as few as 3 days, which is approximately 4 days faster than our older system.
- Prospector is still accessible if you need to use it for items that aren't available within the library group, but now you can search it from within the catalog. Items ordered through Prospector will still take 7 days, on average, to arrive, so definitely check the main catalog first! All Prospector holds will be available for pick-up on the Holds shelves.
- Most items are renewable twice.
- The catalog issues renewals from the date the book is actually renewed, not the date it was due. In other words, if you wanted to checkout War and Peace for a full six weeks, you'll need to wait until the date it's due to renew it again for 3 weeks.
- Love eBooks? You can checkout eBooks through our Overdrive service from within the catalog, or through the existing app on your tablet or phone.
- You can request to pick up materials at any of the libraries in the library group, and you can return materials to any of those libraries as well. It will count as "checked in" as soon as that library checks it in.
- You can use your Longmont library card at the Boulder and Broomfield libraries.
- Some overdue fines increased when we joined the library group. Fines for overdue DVDs are $.50 per day, fines for overdue Books in a Bag and Experience Bags are $1.00 per day.
- Once a patron has paid for a lost item, they will not be eligible for a refund if they later find the item. Instead, they get to the keep the once lost item.
- Our catalog technology is responsive and friendly to all screens, including tablets and phones!
- You can link to other accounts -- like your spouse's or your children's -- and manage those accounts with a single log-in. Ask a librarian to show you how.
- You have the option to keep a reading history in your record to track what you've read. This is an option you have to self-select, and you can delete part or all of your reading history at any time.
- You can rate and review books for other patrons to see, and the more you participate in this feature, the system will be able to produce more personalized suggestions for you.
- You can also create lists and post or share them with friends, book clubs, or social media.
- If there is a difference in loan policy, the rules of the library that owns the item apply, rather than the rules of library from which the item is checked out.
Search Tips and Shortcuts
- To see everything in the catalog, click Search without typing anything in the search box. Everything in the catalog will be accessed and you can use the lefthand menu to limit your search and browse.
- Searches can be limited by genre. Finally, you can search for mysteries, more mysteries, and nothing but mysteries!
- "New to the Library" shows items that are on order or recently acquired and is filtered by time period (week, month, etc.)
- Within the catalog, there is a tool that allows you to view items in a series in the order of the series -- no more guesswork!
- When you search by title, you'll receive every format for that title, including DVDs and kits.
- You can save searches that you might want to run frequently.
Still Confused? That's Okay. We've Got Videos to Help!
How to Search the Catalog
Click to watch "How to Search the Catalog". This link will open the video in a new window.
How to Place a Hold
Click to watch "How to Place a Hold". This link will open the video in a new window.
How to Access Account Information
Click to watch "How to Access Account Information". This link will open the video in a new window.
How to Browse the Catalog Using our Featured Lists
Click to watch "How to Browse the Catalog Using our Featured Lists". This link will open the video in a new window.
How to Checkout an Overdrive eBook
Click to watch "How to Checkout an Overdrive Book". This link will open the video in a new window.