The Memorial Rose Garden Volunteer Program is an effort to enlist community support through assistance with park upkeep. Community pride, a sense of ownership and a better maintained Rose Garden are the results of this program. If your group or organization is interested in the opportunity to volunteer for this adoption program, please consider the following possibilities:
Any individual, group or organization can adopt a designated portion of the Memorial Rose Garden.
Activities will include any or all of the following:
- Introduction to the Rose Garden – required meeting of all volunteers with Parks staff at the beginning of the season (approximately June 1); will be used to orient participants to the garden, discuss tasks to be performed and answer questions.
- Trash & debris pick-up – remove trash, debris, pet waste from area. (Bags will be left in a designated area for city crews to collect.)
- Dead-heading rose plants – remove spent blossoms according to procedures established by Parks Maintenance staff.
- Pruning rose plants – perform needed trimming of plant growth according to procedures established by Parks Maintenance staff.
- Weed pulling – removal of weeds from planting beds by hand; chemical applications will not be involved.
- Composting plant debris – deposit all removed plant materials into a designated compost bin or area (don’t leave any piles of plant material – leave all materials in bags provided).
- Monitoring and reporting – monitor and report the condition of the Memorial Rose Garden including vandalism, non-functioning lights or other damage.
City of Longmont Memorial Rose Garden located at the west end of Roosevelt Park.
To enhance plant appearance, promote vigor & assist in city maintenance efforts.
The contract commitment is for monthly visitations during the growing season, and the contract term is for a single calendar year. The typical seasonal work period will be around June 1 to September 1. The exact seasonal work period will depend on plant development as a result of variable weather and will be communicated to volunteers by Parks Maintenance staff.
Rose Garden Volunteers - If you are interested or would like to hear more about volunteering for the 2018 season, we will be having a meeting on Monday, June 4 at 10:00 A.M. at the Rose Garden in Roosevelt Park. We will be going over the program and will have a Q & A afterwards. Contracts and Volunteer Release forms can be turned in at that time.
If you have questions, please contact Lore Blattner.
Memorial Rose Garden Volunteer Program Forms