Overview & Description
City of Longmont's Memorial Rose Garden located at the west end of Roosevelt Park. The Memorial Rose Garden Volunteer Program is an effort to enlist community support through assistance with garden upkeep. Volunteers can enhance plant and overall garden bed appearance and improve plant health. Community pride, a sense of ownership, and a better maintained Rose Garden are the results of this program.
Any individual, group or organization can adopt a designated portion of the Memorial Rose Garden and can volunteer during a portion of or all of the season between April and September.
Examples of volunteer activities include some or all of the following:
- Introduction to the Rose Garden – required meeting of all volunteers with Parks staff at the beginning of the season (usually sometime in April); will be used to orient participants to the garden, discuss tasks to be performed and answer questions.
- Trash & debris pick-up – remove trash, debris, pet waste from area. (Bags will be left in a designated area for city crews to collect.)
- Dead-heading rose plants – remove spent blossoms according to procedures established by Parks Maintenance staff.
- Pruning rose plants – perform needed trimming of plant growth according to procedures established by Parks Maintenance staff.
- Weed pulling – removal of weeds from planting beds by hand; chemical applications will not be involved.
- Composting plant debris – deposit all removed plant materials into a designated compost bin or area (don’t leave any piles of plant material – leave all materials in bags provided).
- Monitoring and reporting – monitor and report the condition of the Memorial Rose Garden including vandalism, non-functioning lights or other damage.
The minimum time commitment volunteers is usually one growing season, but volunteers are welcome to continue on for as many seasons as they would like. In a season, volunteers typically make monthly visits between April and September, but the exact seasonal work period will depend on plant development and weather variations in a specific growing season.
Currently the program is accepting new volunteers for 2019 and beyond. If interested, please email Lore Blattner and complete the Volunteer Interest Form, selecting 'Memorial Rose Garden' as your Area of Interest.
Memorial Rose Garden Volunteer Program Forms
- Safety Rules
- Policies and Procedures
- Maintenance Contract
- Volunteer Application and Liability Waiver