Infants and Toddler Program | 6 months through 3 years old | Classes are 30 minutes
Aquababy and Aquatot: Parent and child will be coached by using a variety of games and techniques individualized to maximize success in water comfort and skills. Sessions can and should be repeated.
- Register for Aquababy for infants 6 -18 months:
- Register for Aquatot for toddlers 18 months - 3 years
- Register for Water Explorers: 2.5 - 3 years old. Classes are 30 minutes
Not yet old enough for learn-to-swim lessons? Ready to be in the water without mom or dad? Your preschooler will explore the water through songs, games, and toys with an instructor, and at the same time learn how to be a part of a group, understand water safety rules, and how to follow directions.
Preschool Program (Animals) | 3 to 5 year olds | Classes are 30 minutes
- Register for Turtle: Water Introduction: Students with no or limited water experience and who are uncomfortable putting their face in the water.
- Register for Alligator: Floating and Roll-Overs: Students comfortable in the water will learn to float independently on front and back for 5 seconds.
- Alligator Prerequisite: Must be able to comfortably put face in the water for at least 3 seconds.
- Register for Seal: Stroke Introduction
Students who float independently will learn to swim 10 yds without stopping and become comfortable in deep water.
- Seal Prerequisite: Must be able to comfortably float on stomach, on back, and be able to roll, while floating, from their backs to their stomachs, to their backs,without assistance.
BLAST! Accelerated Swim Lesson Program | 5 year olds & up | Classes are 45 minutes
Blast is the City of Longmont's own accelerated swim lesson program, designed to get kids ready for swim team. Kids ages 5 & up will develop swimming skills and techniques for the 4 competitive swim strokes: freestyle, backstroke, butterfly and breaststroke. Newly expanded to four technique based levels that progress swimmers from the basics—getting comfortable in the water, blowing bubbles and floating—to a solid foundation in the 4 competitive swim strokes.
- Register for Beginning Blast: Stroke Preparation • Lessons are 45 minutes
Prerequisite:Must be able to Independently front float for 3 seconds, roll to back float, & hold for 10 seconds.
Students will learn the basic stroke preparation including rhythmic breathing, floating, gliding, kicking and rolling over from front to back.
- Register for Blast 1: Freestyle • Lessons are 45 minutes
Prerequisite:Front and back float; front and back glide with flutter kick, combined freestyle arms and legs for 15 ft.
Students will learn freestyle by developing good body position, stroke, flutter kick and bilateral breathing technique. Students will continue to work on swimming basics, including rhythmic breathing, streamline glides and flutter kick, and begin learning backstroke.
- Register for Blast 2: Backstroke • Lessons are 45 minutes
Prerequisite: 20 bobs; front and back streamline glides w/flutter kick 15 yards; swim 25 yards freestyle w/good bilateral breathing and proper kicking.
Students will focus on developing backstroke technique, including body roll, strong, consistent flutter kick, and stroke timing. Continue to refine freestyle, developing catch and body roll, improving timing and bilateral breathing. Students will become accustomed to deep water and begin work on starts.
- Register for Blast 3: Butterfly and Breaststroke • Lessons are 45 minutes
Prerequisite: swim 50 yards freestyle with proper technique; 25 yards backstroke; 25 yards breaststroke kick.
Students will learn breaststroke and butterfly; focusing on stroke breakdown and timing. Continue refining freestyle & backstroke, improving stroke technique and endurance. Flip turns introduced.
American Red Cross Swim Lessons | 6 year olds & up | Classes are 30 minutes
Longmont Recreation Services uses the American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim level program. More strokes are taught at earlier levels and more safety skills and topics have been emphasized throughout all levels.
- Register for Level 1: Water Introduction • Lessons are 30 minutes
Students will become comfortable putting their face in the water and learn to float independently on their front and back.
- Register for Level 2: Skill Introduction • Lessons are 30 minutes
Students who can float independently will learn to swim 15 yards, on front and back, without stopping.
- Register for Level 3: Stroke Development • Lessons are 30 minutes
Students who can swim on their front and back will learn breathing techniques, elementary backstroke and kicks used in all swimming strokes.
- Register for Level 4: Stroke Improvement • Lessons are 30 minutes
Students who have proper breathing and swim in deep water will learn backstroke, breaststroke, sidestroke and butterfly.
Teen 1 & Teen 2 Swim Lessons | 11 to 17 year olds | Classes are 45 minutes
- Register for Teen 1: Learning the Basics
Teen 1 focuses on teaching teens the basic techniques of floating, water safety and stroke development. This class offers teens an environment where they can feel comfortable learning beginner to intermediate swim techniques.
- Register for Teen 2: Endurance and Stroke Enhancement
Teen 2 focuses on providing workouts for teen swimmers who need more than just lessons. During their workouts the instructor will include technique based drills to enhance their strokes and improve proficiency in the water.
Adult Swim Lesson Program | 18 year old & up | Classes are 45 minutes
We have swim lessons for adults of all ages and swimming abilities. Both Adult 1 and Adult 2 classes can be tailored to the goals of the participants.
- Register for Adult 1: Learning the Basics
Overcome the fear of the water and learn the basic skills to achieve a minimum level of water competency. In this course, participants strive for skill and stroke performance focusing on breath control, submerging, floating and learning the basics of front crawl and elementary backstroke.
- Register for Adult 2: Improving Skills and Swimming Strokes
Improve foundation skills and swimming strokes to gain an overall level of comfort in the water. In this course, participants work on increasing technique and endurance in front crawl and elementary backstroke, while breaststroke and back crawl will be introduced.
Swim Lesson Equivalency Chart
Below is a table to assist your decision making process, or if your desired class is full, see what other class would be comparable. If you are unsure, please call Centennial Pool at 303-651-8406 to arrange a free swim evaluation.
For example: If your child was in a Seal class and turned 6 years old, your child would be able to enroll into a Level 2 or a Beginning Blast class.
Preschool Classes - 3-5 years
American Red Cross Classes - 6+ years
Blast Classes- 5+ years
| Level 1
|Alligator|| Level 1
|Seal|| Level 2
|| Beginning Blast
| Level 3
|| Blast 1
| Level 4
|| Blast 2
| Blast 3