City of Longmont Recreation and Golf Services is involved in offering a wide range of special events throughout the calendar year. Details are subject to change.
2020 Calendar - All Events Subject to Change
- Denver Nuggets Skill Challenge - Longmont Recreation Services presents a FREE competition that allows boys and girls, ages 6 through 13 (as of April 30, 2020) to showcase their talents in dribbling, passing, and shooting a basketball. Co-sponsored by the Colorado Parks and Recreation Association and the Denver Nuggets. Top scorers in each age group will advance to sectional competition. Entry forms available at 12:30pm at the Longmont Recreation Center. Jan. 4, 2020, 1 pm
- Windows To Wellness – Longmont Recreation Services’ Windows to Wellness Fair is your New Year's Resolution Fair! It provides the opportunity to try a variety of alternative wellness options, shop at the Wellness Market, and take part in free workshops at the Longmont Senior Center, 910 Longs Peak Ave. Feb. 8, 2020, 9am-2pm. Doors open at 8:30am.
- Registration begins for Longmont Summer Day Camp February 1 - LongmontColorado.gov/SummerDayCamp
- March Meltdown - Help Recreation Services celebrate the end of a great winter season from 1:30-3:30pm Sunday, March 8 at the Longmont Ice Pavilion, 725 8th Avenue, during the annual March Meltdown party. Enjoy ice skating, ice painting and free ice cream while supplies last. Regular admittance fees apply. Weather permitting, the ice rink will be open the week of March 9 for a few more days of open skating and drop-in hockey. Call 303-774-4777 for daily schedules. Ice Pavilion, 725 8th Ave, Mar 8, Sun, 1:30-3:30pm.
- Puck O' Irish Hockey Tournament - CANCELLED due to COVID-19
Enjoy the annual showdown at the Longmont Ice Pavilion, 725 8th Avenue. Call 303-774-4777 for daily schedules. Ice Pavilion, 725 8th Ave, Mar 12-15, Thursday night through Sunday.
- Spirit of Arbor Day Tree Sale March 16-April 10 - Forestry Services is coordinating a community tree sale for Longmont residents. During these dates, residents will be able to view and purchase trees online at LongmontColorado.gov/forestry or by calling 303-651-8416. A variety of trees will be available at below wholesale cost of $80 each + tax (2 tree limit per person).
- Underwater Easter Egg Hunt - CANCELLED due to COVID-19, updated 3/25/20
- This unique event is a fun opportunity for youth to retrieve weighted eggs from the water at Centennial Pool. Egg hunters of all abilities welcome. After done swimming, enjoy crafts and face painting. April 11, Saturday, 1-3pm at Centennial Pool, 1201 Alpine St. Doors open at 1pm and the hunt begins at 1:30pm. $12 per family/ $4 per swimmer/ $1 per observer.
- Callahan House Open House May 16- CANCELLED due to COVID-19, updated 3/25/20
As part of Longmont’s Artwalk, the Historic Callahan House & Garden, 312 Terry Street, will host an Open House with tours from 4-8pm. Admire works created by several local artists while you enjoy live music in the garden. Admission is free and the public is welcome.
- Sunset Pool TBA – The City's large and unique outdoor pool opens annually Memorial Weekend through Labor Day. The splash pads at Sandstone Ranch and Stephen Day Park also open this weekend.
- Activity Pools TBA – The City's two outdoor activity pools, Roosevelt and Kanemoto, opening dates TBA
- Triathlon Weekend moves to late August in 2020 -see below!
- Rockies Skill Challenge - 9am | June 6 Youth ages 6-13 as of December 31, 2020, will compete in throwing, running and hitting. Boys and girls compete separately. Winners advance to the sectional competition and then onto the state competition in August. Registration forms available at the event. Participants must provide a copy of their birth certificate and adult signature is required.
- FREE Community Night at Sandstone Ranch | June 16 – Loco Ukulele - At 5:30pm, enjoy the scenery, lawn games and coloring table while you enjoy your sack dinner. The evening main event, Loco Ukulele, begins at 6:30pm.
- FREE Summer Fitness Classes in the Parks! Coming Soon.
- Rhythm on the River – Longmont Recreation Services, along with a multitude of local community partners, presents the Annual Rhythm on the River, Longmont’s Signature Event, July 10 and 11, 2020.
- Longmont Kinetics at Rhythm on the River. TBA The City of Longmont and Kineticists proudly sponsor this fun, family-friendly event that provides unique entertainment in the form of human-powered Kinetic Sculptures.
- Roger’s River Run 5k – Longmont Recreation Services offers the Roger’s River Run 5K as part of the Rhythm on the River activities. Friday, July 10, 2020.
- FREE Summer Fitness Classes in the Parks! - TBA
- End of Summer Dog Swims at the Activity Pools - Aug 19-23 & 26-29
After the Activity Pools are closed to the general human public, the pool chemicals are neutralized so the water is safe for dogs. All friendly dogs are welcome; balls and bags will be provided. Visit the multiple dog-friendly vendors. No people swimming and thank you for picking up after your pooch! Fee is $4 per dog; Recreation passes are not valid. For more information, call 303-651-8406.
Dog Dayz Expo
Bring your socialized dog for swimming and fun! Visit the multiple dog friendly vendors that are in attendance. All size dogs welcome on Aug 30, Sun, 10am-3pm, Roosevelt Activity Pool, 903 8th Ave.
Dog Swims - $4 per dog
Small Dogs Only: 9-10am & 4-5pm
All Dogs: 10am-12pm & 5-7pm
Aug 19-23 & 26-29 Wed-Sun - Roosevelt Activity Pool, 903 8th Ave.
- FREE Community Night at Sandstone Ranch | August 18 – Hawk Quest - At 5:30pm, enjoy the scenery, lawn games and coloring table while you enjoy your sack dinner. The evening main event, Hawk Quest: Owls of the World, begins at 6:30pm. Featuring live owls, learn about these important raptors and their importance to global ecosystems.
- FREE Summer Fitness Classes in the Parks! TBA
- Longmont Kids Only Triathlon – The Kids Only Triathlon is for youth ages 7 – 17. Event will be held Saturday, August 22, at the Longmont Recreation Center, 310 Quail Rd. Register at any Longmont Recreation facility, the City's website or active.com. Looking to volunteer? Check out volunteer opportunities with Longmont Recreation Services!
- Longmont Triathlon and Try-a-Tri – Join us for the 40th year of the Longmont Triathlon, the longest running triathlon in Colorado. Sunday, August 23. First wave starts at 6:45am for Sprint Distance racers. Try-a-Tri will be held on Saturday, August 22, directly after the Kids Only Triathlon. New location in 2020: Longmont Recreation Center, 310 Quail Rd.
- Callahan House Open House - As part of Longmont’s Artwalk Sept. 19, the Historic Callahan House & Garden, 312 Terry Street, will host an Open House with tours from 4-8pm. Admire works created by several local artists while you enjoy live music in the garden. Admission is free and the public is welcome.
- Strider Racing Rough Rider Race - Oct. 3, 2020
Join Longmont Recreation Services for a race for the youngest of riders at Willow Farm Barn Park. Youth ages 2 to 5 compete in age-specific divisions in the fun race in a supportive atmosphere. Enjoy a "try a strider" station before or after the races with six tester strider bikes provided by sponsor Play-It Again Sports. Strider bike bells and participation ribbons are given to each participant with first place awards given in each age category. The race course will be along the scenic sidewalks within Willow Farm Park. Bring your bike and helmet to participate; a police officer will be on-site to check helmets and assist with proper fit. Preregistration is required to ensure adequate post-race treats. Fee is $15 per racer (no refunds): register online, keyword "strider".
- Fall Harvest at Sandstone Ranch Visitors Center - Date TBA
Enjoy a special fall outing for children and their families at the Sandstone Ranch Visitors & Learning Center, 3001 Sandstone Drive. Participants will have fun with pumpkin crafts, games, music and more! $10/family or $3/person suggested donation, collected at event. No registration needed.
- Halloween Parade – Longmont Recreation Services presents the Annual Halloween Parade, a walking parade for youth and their families to show off their costume creations. Saturday, October 31, 2020. 9:30 am line up, 10 am parade.
- Trick or Treat - The City of Longmont does not designate a specific date for Halloween Trick or Treating. Traditionally, Trick or Treating in Longmont occurs in the early evening hours of Halloween, October 31, regardless of the day of the week.
- Turkey Trot – November 14, 2020 Longmont Recreation Services presents the Annual Turkey Trot 10K and 2 mile run/walk benefiting the Longmont Recreation Services Youth Scholarship Fund. Saturday, Nov. 14, 2020, 9 am
- Longmont Lights Santa's Workshop- Longmont Recreation Services offers an evening for parents and their children 1 to 9 years of age to visit Santa and enjoy crafts at Santa's Workshop Friday evening of Longmont Lights. Dec. 11, 2020, 5 to 8 pm
- Longmont Lights Holiday Parade - Longmont Recreation Services hosts a special night Longmont Lights Holiday Parade with all the lights and magic of the holidays. Dec. 12, 2020, 5 pm