A weekend holiday celebration Dec. 13 and 14, 2019
2019 Parade Theme: Joy to the World
From ancient time, light has been both a source of mystery and magic, providing necessary warmth and guidance. Enjoy the mystery and magic of millions of sparkling lights and the sights and sounds of winter holiday celebrations as Longmont Lights continues with special activities in Roosevelt Park Dec. 13 and 14.
Mail or turn in completed Parade Applications at the St Vrain Memorial Building, 700 Longs Peak Ave, Longmont, CO 80501 or email email@example.com (include payment by check or call 303-651-8404 to pay with a credit card). A copy of your automobile insurance must be included. Deadline is Wednesday, Dec. 4.
2019: All parade entries are eligible for prizes! A panel of judges will make their selection before the parade begins. Note: Your completed float and riders must be in lineup by 3:30pm in order to be judged. Each winning entry will be awarded a banner to proudly display along the route. The categories are:
• Grand Marshal's Award - Best Entry: $250 prize
• Pioneer Award - Best Historical or Cultural Theme: $100 prize
• Holiday Spirit Award - Best Use of Lights: $100 prize
• Harmony Award - Best Musical Group: $100 prize
• Bright Horizon Award - Best Youth Group: $100 prize
Judging Criteria is based on the following elements:
• General Effect in Presentation: The overall effective presentation of the float. Beauty and creativity.
• Workmanship: Craftsmanship in float creation. Design details including use of colors and materials.
• Parade Theme: The creativity in the use of lights.
Full details are listed on the Longmont Lights Parade Float Application.
2019 Longmont Lights Holiday Parade Grand Marshal - Charley Griffith, New Creation Church
I transferred with my job to Longmont in 1976. I married my wife Debra in 1982 and we raised our five children here in Longmont. I have been employed with New Creation Church since 1988, becoming their Administrative Pastor in 2008. Through my years with the church it has been an honor and privilege to be able to partner with the City of Longmont with volunteers from the church in various city events like Longmont Lights. I am thankful for a city and staff who truly cares about the people who live here.
2018 Longmont Lights Holiday Parade Float Contest Winners
- Grand Marshal's Award - Best Entry: St Vrain State Park - Camping
- Pioneer Award - Best Historical or Cultural Theme: Calvin Keim and Friends
- Holiday Spirit Award - Best Use of Lights: Artisan Concrete – Grinch
- Harmony Award - Best Musical Group: Left Hand Artist Group – Rock Stars
- Bright Horizon Award - Best Youth Group: Salud Family Health Center Longmont – Jingle Bell Rockin’ Dr. Dinosaurs
Things to know about Longmont Lights Event
- Parking: Parking lots are located around Roosevelt Park and downtown locations. Parking lots located off Coffman Street will close at 3 pm on Saturday, Dec. 14, for the Longmont Lights Parade. All cars in Coffman Street parking lots at 3 pm must remain until roads reopen following the parade at 8 pm. Download directions to Roosevelt Park.
- Pets: Please be considerate of fellow festival goers and leave all pets at home.
- Restrooms: Restrooms are located at west and east ends of Roosevelt Park, inside the Longmont Senior Center and in the St. Vrain Memorial Building.
- ATMs: Cash machines are located at Wells Fargo Bank and US Bank, within two blocks of Roosevelt Park, for your convenience in purchasing food.
- Weather Policy: The event goes on in all weather conditions.
- The parade is on Saturday, Dec. 14. There is a single Longmont Lights parade. It is on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019 beginning at 5 pm. The parade line-up begins at 3 pm. Download Parade of Lights Float Application Float applications are due Wed., Dec. 4, 2019.
Schedule - check back for updates - subject to change
Friday, Dec. 13, 2019 (times vary between 5-8pm)
- Santa's Workshop - 5 to 7:30 pm: This parent/child activity workshop at the Memorial Building, 700 Longs Peak Ave., is geared for children ages 10 and under. Free craft (one per family please), courtesy of Home Depot.
- Visits with Santa are available from 5 to 7:30 pm: NEW LOCATION at the Longmont Senior Center, 910 Longs Peak Ave. Due to Santa's overwhelming schedule, the line to see Santa will be cut-off at 7:15 pm in order to adhere to the closing time of 7:30 pm.
- Hot Cocoa Carts
Sponsored by Meals on Wheels and New Creation Church
- Fire Pits: Visit the warmth of the fire pits as you walk around Roosevelt Park and see the millions of lights sparkle!
- Food Truck Sales: Stop by to purchase food from various local food truck vendors at the Longs Peak parking lot area next to the park.
- Open Skating at Longmont Ice Pavilion:
The City's Ice Pavilion will have "Open" skating throughout the day.
- 12:30 to 9 pm Open Skating (regular admission fees apply; free skate rental from 5-9pm)
- CANCELLED: Train Rides
- Fireworks display: 7:45 pm - weather permitting
Fireworks will fill the air at Roosevelt Park (north end of the St. Vrain Memorial Building) on Friday, Dec 13, at 7:45 pm.
Special thanks to our fireworks sponsor, Bank of Colorado.
Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019
- 1:30 pm to 9 pm: Open Skate Ice Skating (regular admission and skate rental rates apply)
- 3:30 pm: Parade line-up begins along Longs Peak Avenue and Bross Street.
- 3:30 - 5 pm - Downtown Winter Wonderland: Stop by St. Stephen's Plaza in Downtown Longmont (500 Main Street) for interactive activities, music, family fun and more! Sponsored by The Well Longmont.
- 4 pm - Main Street Fun Run: Run, Jog, Skip, or Dance down Main Street for this 1st annual 1 mile fun run/walk put on by Shoes & Brews and the LDDA.
- 5 pm: Parade begins: This year’s theme is “Joy to the World.” Main Street will be illuminated with more than 60 floats twinkling with lights. Come watch this magical parade filled with high school marching bands, costumed characters and much more.
The parade will proceed from third avenue up to 8th avenue, creating an extra block of viewing space for spectators!
Thank you to our Sponsors of Longmont Lights!
Bank of Colorado
Longmont United Hospital
Meals on Wheels
New Creation Church
Village at the Peaks
Longmont Power & Communication and Broes Electric are proud to support the Longmont Lights Festival. We encourage you to make the switch to energy-efficient LED lighting and save energy this holiday season. At LPC's low residential rate, the average 25-bulb string of traditional lights costs $2.08 per month to use. A 100-bulb string of mini lights costs an average of $0.33 per string. LED lights, however, costs about $0.002 (less then a penny) per month. LED Lights are a bright idea. Use LED holiday lighting for energy efficiency.
NOTICE: Links to external sites of private businesses and listing those businesses on this website do not constitute advertising for nor endorsements by the City of Longmont. By visiting this and other City of Longmont web pages, you expressly agree to be bound by the policies of the site.