A weekend holiday celebration Dec. 7 and 8, 2018
2018 Parade Theme:TBA
From ancient time, light has been both a source of mystery and magic, providing necessary warmth and guidance. Enjoy the mystery and magic of millions of sparkling lights and the sights and sounds of winter holiday celebrations as Longmont Lights continues with special activities in Roosevelt Park Dec. 7 and 8.
Check back in for 2018 Parade Applications in early September 2018. Turn in completed Parade Applications: St Vrain Memorial Building, 700 Longs Peak Ave, Longmont, CO 80501. Deadline is Monday, Nov. 26.
2017: All parade entries are eligible for prizes! A panel of judges will make their selection before the parade begins. Note: Float must be in lineup by 3:30pm in order to be judged. Each winning entry will be awarded a banner to proudly display along the route. The categories are:
• Grand Marshal's Award - Best Entry: $250 prize
• Pioneer Award - Best Historical or Cultural Theme: $100 prize
• Holiday Spirit Award - Best Use of Lights: $100 prize
• Harmony Award - Best Musical Group: $100 prize
• Bright Horizon Award - Best Youth Group: $100 prize
Judging Criteria is based on the following elements:
• General Effect in Presentation: The overall effective presentation of the float. Beauty and creativity.
• Workmanship: Craftsmanship in float creation. Design details including use of colors and materials.
• Parade Theme: The creativity in the use of lights.
Full details are listed on the Longmont Lights Parade Float Application.
2017 Longmont Lights Holiday Parade Grand Marshal
Our 2017 Grand Marshal: Sue Jacobson, Recreation Area Supervisor for the City of Longmont
Sue has been employed with the City of Longmont for 28 years. She began her career as a part-time youth programmer and has served in many roles including 29 years of the Longmont Parade, 22 years leading Rhythm on the River, and a variety of rolls in the Triathlon, Halloween Parade and numerous Recreation facility grand openings. Recreation and Golf services would like to recognize Sue Jacobson as the 2017 Grand Marshal and thank her for her dedication to making Longmont great!
2017 Longmont Lights Holiday Parade Float Contest Winners
Grand Marshal - Longmont Association of Realtors, Harmony - SVVSD Community Schools, Pioneer - TLC The Learning Center, Bright Horizon Award - Centennial State Ballet, Holiday Spirit - Friends of Longmont Youth / Children, Youth & Families
Things to know about Longmont Lights Event
- Parking: Parking lots are located around Roosevelt Park and downtown locations. Parking lots located off Coffman Street will close at 3 pm on Saturday, Dec. 9, for the Longmont Lights Parade. All cars in Coffman Street parking lots at 3 pm must remain until roads reopen following the parade at 8 pm. Download directions to Roosevelt Park.
- Pets: Please be considerate of fellow festival goers and leave all pets at home.
- Restrooms: Restrooms are located at west and east ends of Roosevelt Park, inside the Longmont Senior Center and in the St. Vrain Memorial Building.
- ATMs: Cash machines are located at Wells Fargo Bank and US Bank, within two blocks of Roosevelt Park, for your convenience in purchasing food.
- Weather Policy: The event goes on in all weather conditions.
- The parade is on Saturday, Dec. 9. There is a single Longmont Lights parade. It is on Saturday, Dec. 9, 2017 beginning at 5 pm. The parade line-up begins at 3 pm. Download Parade of Lights Float Application Float applications are due November 27, 2017.
Schedule - check back for updates
Friday, Dec. 8, 2017 (times vary between 5-8pm)
- Santa's Workshop - 5 to 7:30 pm: This parent/child activity workshop is geared for children ages 10 and under. Free craft (one per family please), courtesy of Home Depot. Visits with Santa are available from 5 to 7:30 pm: due to Santa's overwhelming schedule, the line to see Santa will be cut-off at 7:15pm in order to adhere to the closing time of 7:30pm.
- Live Reindeer: Stop by the front of the St Vrain Memorial Building for a visit with a few of Santa's reindeer.
- Hot Cocoa Cart
- Fire Pits: Visit the warmth of the fire pits as you walk around Roosevelt Park and see the millions of lights sparkle!
- Food Truck Sales: Stop by to purchase food from various local food truck vendors at the Longs Peak parking lot area next to the park.
- Holiday Ice Show and Open Skating: The City's Ice Pavilion will host a Holiday Ice Show featuring ice skating instructors and professionals from the Denver area and there will be "Open" skating throughout the day (regular fees apply).
- 10 am to 5:45 pm Open Skating (regular fees apply)
- 6 to 7:30 pm, Holiday Ice Show
- Concerts and more at the Senior Center:
- 5 to 6 pm: 4EVERYOUNG, a female a capella quartet
- 6 to 7:30 pm: I and the Many Band, a piano-based vocal group
- Train Rides: Line will end at 7:30pm.
- Fireworks display: 7:45 pm - weather permitting
Fireworks will fill the air at Roosevelt Park (north end of the St. Vrain Memorial Building) on Friday, Dec 8, at 7:45pm.
Saturday, Dec. 9, 2017
- 10 am to 9 pm: Open Skate Ice Skating (regular admission and skate rental rates apply)
- 3:30 pm: Parade line-up begins along Longs Peak Avenue and Bross Street.
- 5 pm: Parade begins: This year’s theme is “March of the Toys.” Main Street will be illuminated with more than 60 floats twinkling with lights. Come watch this magical parade filled with marching toy soldiers, high school marching bands, ice castles, costumed characters and much more.
The parade will proceed from third avenue up to 8th avenue, creating an extra block of viewing space for spectators!
Thank you to our Sponsors of Longmont Lights!
Longmont Power & Communication and Broes Electric are proud to support Longmont Lights Festival.
We encourage you to make the switch to energy-efficient LED lighting and save energy this holiday season.
At LPC's low residential rate, the average 25-bulb string of traditional lights costs $2.08 per month to use. A 100-bulb string of mini lights costs an average of $0.33 per string. LED lights, however, costs about $0.002 (less then a penny) per month. LED Lights are a bright idea. Use LED holiday lighting for energy efficiency
WK Real Estate - Proud firework sponsor for Longmont Lights!
Xfinity - Proud Longmont Lights Event Sponsor
Meals on Wheels
New Creation Church
First National Bank
Village at the Peaks
High Plains Bank